Due to the competitive nature, do Big 4 firms discriminate against students who start at a community college?

18

So I am a student at community college for financial reasons, however I do not want that to make me a 'weaker' candidate. If it does, what can I do to set myself apart from the pack? #accounting #community-college #auditing #working-in-big-companies #deloitte #ey #kpmg #pwc

18

Joel’s Answer

5

Hi Tiffany,

Big 4 firms do not value what school you went to, but rather your performance in school. Additionally, Big 4 firms value internship experience. I understand how you might feel that you're not a strong enough candidate, as I had those same doubts, as I went to a smaller school and didn't have any accounting internships, only insurance internships. However, I kept my grades up and I practiced my interview skills, and I was able to land a job with PwC. Keep working hard and it will work out!

Joel

Your answer is great Joel, thanks so much for sharing your expertise! At this moment there are more than 800 unanswered questions so I wanted to encourage you to keep going! So many students will benefit tremendously from hearing from you. Keep up the great work! Jordan Rivera COACH
5

Tharun’s Answer

2

I do not believe Big 4 Firms discriminate against students who start at Community college. These firms will look at your potential and how well you have performed at your college. Higher Grades, doing Internships for gaining experience and willingness to explore new areas like extracurricular activities will certainly make you a strong candidate for the job. Willingness to be proactive and working hard will always keeps the door open for potential opportunities in the future. Good Luck!

2

Alessandra’s Answer

1

Hi Tiffany - I do not believe Big 4 firms discriminate against students who start at community college. I would suggest to have the following items included on your resume to try and set you apart from the rest of the candidates. High GPA, honors/achievements (ie. Dean's list, scholarship recipient, honor's society), work experience (ie. accounting internship, if possible, would be the best), extracurricular activities (volunteering, schools clubs, sports teams) and stand-out skills (ie. computer skills, bilingual, tech-enabled). Aside from what is on paper, the interviews are a huge part as well. Try to be yourself, research the company you are interviewing with and be really interested and excited for the opportunity.

1

Alice’s Answer

1

The 'competitive' part of getting into a Big 4 is how well you did in school, the internships you had during the summer, your references, and your interview - NOT that you went to community college. There is nothing wrong with going to a community college. My father taught at a small state school for 43 years. He was a fantastic professor and mentor to many students over his career. Because of the smaller class size he was able to get to know his students and help them individually. Did I mention he was an accounting professor? Work hard and do your best no matter what you do (or where it is) and there will be payoffs later on. You can do it!

1

Jane’s Answer

1
Hi Tiffany.
Thank you for your question! The quick answer to your question is NO. I certainly started in community college and many of my colleagues did as well. Although the Big 4 actively recruit from bigger universities, we accept applications from everyone and have staff with various educational backgrounds and experiences.

Some roles have specific educational and experience requirements so depending on your interest, we encourage you to visit the link http://www.pwc.com/us/en/careers.html for more information.

Wish you all the best!
1

1

Hi Tiffany,

No firm you would want to work for would discriminate based on your college. Good firms judge talent on more than academia, but especially so more than just the name of the school on a resume. Employers of top talent, such as B4 firms, universally look for the best candidates, and that means exploring a student's whole self: grades, extra curriculars, ambitions, goals, and career outlook. You should not feel like a "weaker" candidate for your school.

David recommends the following next steps:

• Continue to work hard at your classes, and diversify yourself in terms of extra curricular activities.
1

Joey’s Answer

1

Going off of what others have already said, I would note that the name of the school you went to is far less important than the relationships you built while you were there. Big 4 firms have a population of a wide variety of alumni, of which I'm sure you can find a connection with outside of where you went to school. Definitely attend any campus learning events where anyone from the industry is speaking and make yourself known. You never know what kind of opportunities people have for you until you ask for them!

1

Grant’s Answer

1

Hi Tiffany,

Big 4 firms do not discriminate against community college students. I think the good advice would be to still aim for a high GPA and become involved with extracurricular activities, as these will set your resume apart. And be sure to get involved with your local firm before and during recruiting. But this is my general advice for any college students! Good luck!

1

Dave’s Answer

1

No. Any company worth working for is not going to discriminate against where you went to school. What is important is what you made of your time there. It also helps to show that you are well rounding by getting involved in extracurricular activities.

1

Vicki’s Answer

1

Absolutely not! Your degree is what matters overall. Your degree doesn't say "I graduated from here, but the first part of my schooling was from a community college" The fact that you were accepted into the university, and met their requirements for graduation says it all.
My father was a partner in the Big 4 (retired now) and he said this all the time :) In fact, he actually went to a community college and then went on to graduate from a "4 yr" college

1

Elena’s Answer

0

Hey Tiffany,

I don't think that Big 4 firms discriminate against students who start at a community college. As long as you are an excellent student, it should not affect anything. I personally know a few students, who started at the community college, received a master's degree in accounting afterwards and successfully received a job offer from the Big 4 accounting firms.

0

Lauren’s Answer

0
Hi Tiffany!

The Big 4 firms do not hold going to a community college against a candidate in their applications. I know at PwC, we look for the candidates that are hard workers and will fit in at our firm! If you have good work experience, are involved in organizations on campus, and show you are willing to do the work, you will stand out just as much as someone who started at a Tier 1 school!
0

Denise’s Answer

0
Hi Tiffany! That is a good question! They definitely do not hold a discrimination against them. Personally, I think having a good atttidude is everything and more important than your college or GPA. Hope this helps best of luck!
0

Matthew’s Answer

0
No. There are schools that a Firm may focus on because of the access to a higher quantity of qualified candidates. This is the fastest, lowest cost way of recruiting while still obtaining high quality employees. But in my experience if you are qualified you will not be overlooked. It may take more effort to get into the structured process a Firm has but if you really want it, there are ways to achieve it.
0

Emilio’s Answer

0
Hi there!!

I don't have the experience of going to a community college, but I did not go to a school that was recruited by the Big Four. My advice is to apply to any related accounting internships to get some experience and meet people through these experiences.
0