Rose J.

36

1

What steps should I be taking to get an internship?

I am a Junior in College, majoring in Public Relations, and I am feeling a bit overwhelmed with getting an internship.
I transferred to San Jose after attending my local community college. It was in a really small city. I was a very active high school student, I was Associated Student Body President and a lot of other things like that. When I got to community college I didn't have very much time to build my resume. Are there things that stand out to you as a professionals when looking for an intern? What should I do to build my resume?
#public-relations #resume #internships

1 comment Click to expand

One helpful first step is to try meeting with your academic advisor or another faculty member who has connections to or knowledge of career/internship opportunities in your community. That's how I secured my internship as a sophomore. I spoke with my financial advisor in Financial Aid. If that doesn't work, you could try reaching out to people you know who may know of opportunities as well. Last resort, you've got to do the tedious work of searching for one. Not fun, I know. In the meantime, while you're searching, a great way to build up your resume is to include any notable projects, jobs, recognition you've achieved so far in your academic journey. Or even, include what you do in your community. How are you active? Employers want to know how you spend your time in and outside of classes. Volunteer work, relevant courses, etc., those could be added onto your resume if they somehow relate to Public Relations.
Last updated Oct 25 '17 at 16:02

2 comments

The #1 thing when trying to get an internship is NETWORKING. Join groups or clubs at your college, attended career fairs, ask your favorite professor who they know (professors get a lot of emails from recruiters about their students), grow your social media and linkedIn base. The more people you connect with, the more exposure you will have to internships. Put yourself out there, reach out to people you don't know, and ask a lot of questions. Thanks to networking, I have worked at some really great companies, and have never proactively applied to any of them. Best of luck!
Last updated Nov 13 '17 at 13:46

First of all, you need to know what you want to be in the future, plan your career well, practice your plan and adjust the future plan. Every step you make is to prepare for achieving your goals. If it can't help you achieve your goals, you must do chang.
Last updated Dec 21 '17 at 01:21

Schools Add a school