Skip to main content
3 answers
3
Updated 864 views

As a vocalist how do you get your name out there?

I want to be an iconic figure in my future.#Vocals #vocalist #music #singing #music-business

+25 Karma if successful
From: You
To: Friend
Subject: Career question for you

3

3 answers


0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Nir’s Answer

As a singer, your brand is twice as important as your talent. By brand I'm both talking about what you project as your image on social media, but also your reputation in your local music communities. I've known singers that could make me cry with a song but I could never hire because they were perpetually late, unable to remember lyrics, or just boring performers. On the other hand, I've known singers that could hardly hold on to the tonal center on any given song but were making serious splashes in the music industry due to their business savvy, charisma, and social media dedication.

As a singer, or any professional musician, it is absolutely critical that you are a pleasant person and fun to be around. The gig only ecompasses about 20% of the time you spend with a musician give you hire. The other 80% you are practicing, communicating, and chatting afterwards. If you are the kind of musician that plays a killer show, and then hustles out the door at the soonest sighting of an exit, you'll find your gig calls getting less and less frequent.

Without a doubt, if you are able to master social media, being great company, and a half-decent vocalist, you will attract attention and find a shot at real success.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Genia’s Answer

In this day in age, i find social media is super helpful with getting yourself a platform that you control. If you are talented, you will have to put yourself out there and make sure you are marketing yourself via hashtags. :-)
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Elizabeth’s Answer

Hi! Do you want to be an iconic figure or a singer? Seeking fame for the sake of "getting famous" will leave you disappointed and empty in the long run. If you want to become a singer because you love music and are talented as a singer, that is different. The "famous" ones are marketing gurus - it's not always about the musical talent they possess. So I would suggest you do some soul searching - is it more important to you to be a true musician who works hard at her craft? Or is it more important to you to become an iconic figure? Yes, you can become both. But it is the art and craft of the music that will satisfy you, not the fame. The fame is fleeting - it comes and goes. Fans are fickle. You can't control fame or predict it. But you can control how hard you work and how you invest your time and talents and what sort of artist you become. I wish you well in finding your true calling and in discovering what your best talents really are. Don't be fooled by the "glamour" and glitz. Devote yourself to your talent and calling, not to "becoming" iconic and you will enjoy life more! Peace!

Elizabeth recommends the following next steps:

Do some soul searching as to what your true calling is.
Do not compare yourself to others.
Do not listen to the critics - be true to yourself.
Enjoy what you do, whatever it is!
Be patient.
0