What are the top universities for Education Majors in America?

I am interested in teaching computer science to middle and high school level students.

#education #teaching #college #college-admissions #college-major #college-selection #college

Hi Alisha, this is a great question. According to usnews.com, the top universities for education majors in your state of Virginia are the College of William and Mary and the University of Virginia. If you're interested in the top universities for education majors all across America, you can check out this website: https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/va?school-type=national-universities&ranking=undergraduate-teaching. Since you're interested in teaching computer science, you should try to double major in education and computer science or at least minor in it. You can do it, I believe in you! Mireia R.

Stephanie’s Answer

Hi Alisha. I have to agree that Vanderbilt is an excellent school. When you're ready to go, please check the listing again, talk to teachers, and visit some schools. I went to a great school Bowling Green State in Ohio. It isn't on the top, but it was very competitive. A quick Google search:

• Dallas Baptist University (Dallas, TX) ...
  • Texas A&M University (College Station, TX) ...
  • Lipscomb University (Nashville, TN) ...
  • Fort Hays State University (Hays, KS) ...
  • Vanderbilt University (Nashville, TN)
  • Harvard University (Cambridge, MA)

Keep investigating and much luck in your career - I love being a teacher!!

Stephanie

Ria’s Answer

Hey Alisha! I made a quick search on niche (https://www.niche.com/colleges/search/best-colleges-for-education/) and schools like Vanderbilt (my alma mater!), Duke, Brown, Swathmore, and Tufts all have top-ranked education programs. It would be good to cross check with this list https://www.niche.com/colleges/search/best-colleges-for-computer-science/ and see which schools have both strong CS and education programs.

Ria recommends the following next steps:

• Use Niche to find out major rankings

Hi, Alisha: it's great that you want to be a teacher. I spent my entire career in the education "business" and enjoyed it a great deal. As to your question: there are many great colleges and universities that prepare teachers. However, what might be more important than going to a top "education" school, is to find a school that has a really good computer science department. Some of the best teachers are those with a real passion for their subject matter. If you major in computer science, you'll probably wind up being a better teacher of computer science. Also, many school systems prefer to hire teachers with a masters degree in education.

So, if you start with a computer science degree and take additional courses in childhood psychology, and do some volunteer teaching at a local school, you'll be well on your way to a successful teaching career. You might consider one of the many apprenticeship programs that are available to college grads, like Teach for America. Also, while in college, think about a masters in education (MEd or MS) from a top grad school like Bank Street College, Columbia, or Vanderbilt, or any of the other top schools around the country. Much of your choice may have to do with where you want to be when you start teaching. Many grad schools have relationships with local school districts and will facilitate your finding a good job when you graduate. Also, each state has its own certification requirements and so it may be easier to find the job you want from a grad school program in your preferred location.

I applaud your interest in teaching and encourage you to pursue it. Best of luck.

Cheers,

John

Kelly’s Answer

Look at the university that meets your needs and income. I have degrees from West Texas A & M University (2), Texas Tech, University of Texas-Dallas and NOVA University. All without the assistance of student loans. Have to admit that I should have been more knowledgeable of the free money that was available. The thing is, get your degree without the horror of student loans following you. I have a few friends that graduated from Trinity University, ranked the number one university in Texas, but they have so much student debt that they will be paying off student loans well into their 60s.