When deciding on what colleges to go to, what should take precedent- what you want to study or where the university is?

2

I've heard that college is about a lot more than the education aspect, that it's learning to live on your own and explore yourself as a person. Also, the majority of people end up switching majors anyway while still in college, so I'm wondering what should be weighed more: the university as a whole, with its surroundings and environment, or the education it has to offer?
#whatdoido #college #collegemajor #universities

2

Katie’s Answer

2

I would say both are equally important. You need to decide what is important to you. Here are some simple things to help guide you in a direction! Best of luck.

Katie recommends the following next steps:

• Decide on your top 2-3 study interests. It might seem odd, but I remember lots of students changing their majors.
  • Explore college options that support those programs of interest.
  • Consider pros and cons of campus locations and amenities.
2

Tracey’s Answer

1
You should first consider what you want to study, then see what schools have good programs for your area of study. At this point you will have a range to work with and see what is close to you if you want to stay near home. The education you receive is based on how well the university supports your particular field of study. You can attend a really good school in name and popularity, but if your major isn't greatly supported at said school, then the school name really doesn't matter.
1