Can I get a good job in the IT field without taking some of the CompTIA Certs?

Updated Oak Grove, Missouri

Lisa’s Answer

Updated Oakland, California

Hi Kathryn, There are a wide variety of IT jobs, and each requires a different set of skills, education, and core competencies that likely depend on the organization and its customers. I don't necessarily think CompTIA is the only IT certification of value and there are lots of options for expanding your IT knowledge. If you already have a degree (in something), that's a great advantage in the job market. If not, you can find lots of useful software and IT training from sites like Lynda.com, Khan Academy, and also edX, which is a new program that colleges and universities are participating in that offer free online training: https://www.edx.org/course/subject/computer-science.

I think a hiring manager would care as much about your education/training as they would your real world experience working in IT. You might consider taking some online courses in computer science or technical support training, and then try to get a few contract jobs (like on dice.com) to gain some field experience. Good luck and let me know if I can help further!

Mohamed’s Answer

Updated Ashburn, Virginia

Usually CompTIA A+ is recommended certification for desktop support jobs. IT is a very broad area, that said there other ways to get a good job,

• - Completing an associates in IT or Computer Science
  • - Completing a four year degree in IT or Computer Science
  • - 12 Week bootcamps mostly offered in software engineering, data science, AI - In most of these bootcamps, after you complete it you will also get a full time job.
  • In order to get a good job, most companies require some sort of education as well as experience. I currently work as an information security analyst without any certs. I have a degree in Computer Science and I did many internships in IT field during my college days. Currently inorder to improve my knowledge in InfoSec I am studying CompTIA Security +.
  • So you really do not need to get a certification if you have some experience or education background.

Sumaa’s Answer

Certification requirements are typically dependent on the job description. Some descriptions will say "preferred" while others may not mention it at all. A certification is a nice competitive advantage but your hands on experience will always take you the furthest. When I started my career in IT, I was still a college student in my undergrad. I did a lot of personal projects and applied to internships in order to get my foot in the door.

Updated Seattle, Washington

Yes. But it will probably require more than just a CompTIA certification. Good jobs are looking for people with experience in their field. If you don't have experience, then you need to get some, and that might mean getting a good education in the field, or working a not good job for a while then making a move after several few years. If you do go for a certification, I'd suggest getting one that's product specific like the microsoft google or salesforce certs. Unless you want to work as a desktop support engineer, but that's not typically considered a "good IT job".

Michael recommends the following next steps:

• Get work experience. Or get a good education and do some volunteer work to get experienced.