What is the most important thing I should consider before I start a career in cyber security ?

Updated Brunswick, Georgia

We live in a world that relies on the internet. I think that people do this without thinking about the issues being involved. This includes a business, company or individuals. I’m really interested in cyber security and I want to know more #technology #cybersecurity #information-technology #cyber-security

Joel’s Answer

I think the most important thing you should consider is if you enjoy learning. Cyber security changes so rapidly that you constantly have to read and keep up with technology. If you are not a person who enjoys the pursuit of cyber security knowledge then the field may not be right for you. Cyber security's most compelling attraction is that everyday can bring something new and exciting. This can also be a negative for some people depending on their personality type.

Haider’s Answer

Get the basic and foundation of IT right .. networking, application layer, 1 or 2 programming language, then move your way up into more advanced when all of the above will come together & envelope into an advanced cyber attack. trust me after awhile you will start feeling what path is more suitable for your you

Stephy’s Answer

Updated San Francisco, California

Hi Jacqueline,

The most important thing to consider is definitely a passion for learning and be updated with all the emerging technologies, like people mentioned above. I also feel like that there are 2 other very important things you need to be passionate about.

The first one is to have a breaker's attitude and also at the same time understanding how to fix the security issues. Basically, you need to be a good at developing applications and also breaking applications

The second thing is to have passion for teaching. I think a good ethical hacker has to have the skills to explain to anyone easily the implications of a security breach and how important is to build a secure application.

Stephy recommends the following next steps:

• Talk to a security engineer, understand their day to-day activities and see if you are interested and passioned to do the job.

Anand’s Answer

Great question. Cyber Security is the art of defending a network or set of systems. I would say to consider learning how to "hack" in a peaceful and lawful way. Only if you are able to think like a hacker and put yourself in a hacker's shoes will you be able to prevent a network from being hacked.

Esteban’s Answer

Updated Portland, Oregon

I echo the answers that point out that having a love of learning is a fundamental thing. After being in the cyber security industry for over 25 years, the other things I would advise is: Don't hold back, ask questions, be visible, and reach out for mentors. The industry is becoming one where security is NOT a thing that one person or a team does on alone (ie, the lone misunderstood cyber samurai defending company against the hordes of hackers). Instead it's a critical function to every part of business. Do writing, blogging or twitter as you learn. Often you'll find that other people are interested in the questions and answers you have as you grown in your career.

Scott’s Answer

I am not in the field of cyber security but with any technology field understanding the training/education and possible certifications required is key. Then setting up a plan to obtain the that is important. Once you begin the training/education you may even be able to land an entry level role in that field. Remember if you are changing fields after many years in a different area you may have to step back a little in your career to shift gears. Good luck!