Kim B.

81

2

Should I choose a school based upon preference or financial needs?

I am a senior that is going into computer science. I really love this one college but I also know my finances should be taken into consideration. I am told I will get the same degree regardless but at the same time I know this is the school I really want to go to. What should I do?

#college #college-selection #college-advice #financial-services

Hi Kim,

I don't encourage anyone to get into debt to go to college. I recommend ranking the programs and then also ranking by affordability. Find the balance, keeping in mind that a solid Computer Science undergraduate degree can be obtained from many institutions. If finances are a concern, consider obtaining an AA degree first and transferring into a 4 year institution. There are so many pathways you can take that would accomplish your goals without breaking the bank.

Definitely apply to scholarships like it is your full time job! I know one young lady who took a year off between high school and college and did just that. She was able to raise enough money to pay for 4 years of education via scholarships and essay contests.

Collette

This professional recommends the following next steps:

Last updated Feb 22 at 08:46

1 comment

<span style="background-color: transparent;">Collegeboard.org is a great resource for this! I poured through the pages of universities all over the U.S. when I was a senior in high school. Collegeboard was my go-to site! They put all of the information in one place and it is very easy to use. They even have various filters you can apply to see only colleges that have programs you are interested. To determine academic rigor, look at the admissions requirements, G.P.A. of past admitted applicants, SAT/ACT scores, class rank etc. This will give you an idea of what scores and grades you need to be accepted. However, don't be discouraged your application will be reviewed based on the full picture! College-board will help you get an idea of what is most important to the specific school you are applying to.</span>

• <span style="background-color: transparent;">Chat with your Guidance Counselor</span>
  • <span style="background-color: transparent;">Create a Collegeboard.org account</span>
  • <span style="background-color: transparent;">Start using CollegeBoard as a resource to look up schools.</span>

Last updated Apr 04 at 13:47

I'd say look in to the reviews that college has for your degree there are several school that are know for certain fields of study that could help in expanding your "dream" school. Thinking of finances I'd say look into scholarships for your desired major and start applying, apply to as many scholarships as possible. to help take stress off of worrying about money. There are a lot of ways to pay and finance college you just have to be creative.

Last updated Feb 08 at 12:37

That’s a tough one! But to a certain extent you are correct a degree is a degree. There will be some organizations that have “preferred” schools they will recruit from but just because you don’t go to one of those schools doesn’t mean that you won’t get a job in your field. You can get a competitive advantage by volunteering with non-profits in a skilled capacity and building your personal and professional network. This carries great value in the marketplace!
Last updated Feb 07 at 18:19

Schools Add a school