How can I begin building a writing portfolio for future jobs and internships I would like to apply to?

3

I am currently a Writing and Journalism major and am unsure as to how to begin building a portfolio for the future. I would like to know how I would begin a process like this and if there's a way I can show my own legitimate writing to professionals when I am still a student. #writing #professional-writing #writing-and-editing #portfolio #journalism

3

Stefania’s Answer

0

Hi Nicole!

Building a portfolio of writing samples is a great idea. There are a few ways you can do this. First, if you are a lover of words, you probably write on your own. Take some time to write a few mock articles or points of view on trends that you are passionate about. Writing on your own and creating original content is always a good way to sample your own writing.

If you have a blog, that's another wonderful way to archive your writing. If you have thoughts or new angles on existing news and trends or areas you are passionate, write them up. Think about writing projects you've done for school projects that you are most proud of as well. Your portfolio will also depend on your target audience. If you are going for a blog -based marketing position, showing up with a case full of academic papers will not be the best way to showcase you are right for the position.

Here are a few sites that enable you to create online portfolios too:

https://thewritelife.com/freelance-portfolio-sites/

https://blog.freelancersunion.org/2014/02/26/5-best-portfolio-sites-writers/

Best of luck to you!

Stefania recommends the following next steps:

• Dig up school write-ups you are most proud of.
  • Start a blog. Write about areas you are passionate about.
  • Visit online portfolio builders (suggested top ones on links above)
0

Ashley’s Answer

0
Hey Nicole! It's great that you want to start building your portfolio- I wish I started mine sooner! I have my portfolio on a WordPress site (ashleypaskill.wordpress.com). I use this site as my professional site. It has my resume, portfolio, and achievements.

In terms of actual writing, if you have writing experience at a school paper or other publication, be sure to include these. If not, use writing that you may have from writing and journalism classes.

I agree with Stefania about having a blog. You can start a blog on literally anything. If you want to do a writing on a specific topic (music, sports, technology, news, etc.), start a blog about that topic to show employers that you are knowledgeable in those areas.

Ashley recommends the following next steps:

• Look into portfolio hosting sites
  • Gather your writing
  • Write some more!
  • Start a blog
0