2 answers
Updated Viewed 261 times Translate

If you are applying to out of state colleges, is it possible to get a citizenship in that state for tuition purposes?

It is just a curious question to ask about selecting colleges and tuition.
#college-advice #college-tuition #college #financial-aid

+25 Karma if successful
From: You
To: Friend
Subject: Career question for you
100% of 2 Pros

2 answers

Updated Translate

Joseph’s Answer

For tuition purposes, public college and university students are either classified as "in-state" or "out-of-state" residents. The rules for establishing residency may vary by institution and state but are likely based on students dependency status. For example, at University of Tennessee "...students under the age of 24 are considered dependent students and residency classification for tuition purposes is determined to be the same state as parent(s) or legal guardian domicile."

Emancipated students (those under the age of 24 but who are legally independent) as well as independent students (those 24 years of age or older) "<span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">may establish in-state classification by producing clear and convincing evidence of Tennessee domicile."</span>

Joseph recommends the following next steps:

Identify the college or university to which you plan to apply.
Search for their residency requirements (which can generally be found on their website under admissions).

100% of 1 Pros
Updated Translate

Mary’s Answer

Every state has different residency requirements, and the residency requirement for the purpose of determining tuition can vary widely from state to state. Note: Private colleges generally have one tuition rate; they don't distinguish between in-state and out of state residency.

In general, most public institutions do not allow you to establish residency for the sole purpose of attending school without meeting several other residency requirements first. For example, establishing residency can include working for an extended period of time (12 months is common), working while attending part-time for a period of time, obtaining a driver's license, registering to vote, owning a residence, and/or filing state taxes. These are just some examples.

If you are student who is considered "dependent" for financial aid purposes, your state of residency is usually considered the state you parent(s) live in.

Some states and colleges have more stringent residency requirements than others. It is always advisable to check first, so you don't get an unhappy surprise when your tuition bill arrives.

Mary recommends the following next steps:

Check with the school you are considering to see what they require in order for you to establish residency and pay in-state tuition.