How can we have a professional yet diverse Resume to apply to jobs and be eye catching without having to create different resumes?

Updated Miami, Florida

I have applied to numerous jobs in the past. It seems that for each job, My resume does not seem to target that specific job's experience requirements. I do possess experience in diverse things, which and it is difficult to creat a resume that would be professional, yet would be eye catching to employers.#resume #job-search #jobs #job-applications

Sheryl’s Answer

Regarding the use of different resumes... you can create a basic resume to reflect your experience and accomplishments, however, my advice is to review each job opening and then make sure you tailor your resume. You want to make sure you use key words from the position requirements and emphasize areas in the resume that will show what a great fit you are based on your skills and background.

I highly recommend the books by Robin Ryan "Winning Resumes", "Winning Cover Letters" and "60 Seconds and You're Hired " to help with writing a good resume as well as the entire job search process.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS include a personal and powerful cover letter. When attaching your resume to an online application, make sure the cover letter and resume are in the same attachment (and in that order). Most hiring personnel will not open a cover letter, but if in the same doc, your information has a greater chance of being seen with the bonus of getting more key word "hits" by including the cover letter with the resume.

I do NOT recommend paying someone to create your resume for you. Do the work yourself, as your resume needs to reflect YOU and you need to be familiar with every word and phrase.

Spell check!! Grammar check!!

Sheryl recommends the following next steps:

• Check out Robin Ryan's books for some great advice.
  • Develop your baseline Resume and Cover Letter

Updated San Antonio, Texas

Sorry, that's the way it is . . . what I tell my customers is to take the time with each resume, When, and only When, it is a job you really want. If it's just another position you are applying to because, well, you need a job, then any resume will do. However, don't expect results either! The other thing wrong with not tweaking it each time is, statistically, you will experience lots more incidents of nobody calling you back after you submit the resume, which, quite honestly, gets pretty depressing. If you walk into an interview already discouraged, odds are you won't do your best.

Bottom line: do your best at everything you do!