8

How important is your GPA when applying for jobs?

Do employers who have a lot of applicants narrow down their search by looking at GPA? #job-search #resume #gpa #job-applications #competition

8

0

Gene’s Answer

In hiring for entry level positions, GPA is an important indicator of future success particularly for candidates that have no other work history. So it comes to play particular in competitive situations. Once a candidate has a successful work record their GPA becomes less of a factor and perhaps not a factor at all. So my recommendation is look for opportunities to work while you are in school or during breaks. It will look good on your resume and give you something to talk about during your interviews.
0
0

Keith’s Answer

Good question Kathleen. Unless you're using your resume to apply to graduate school or an academic-related scholarship, employers will not usually care about GPA unless they specifically ask for it in the job application instructions (such as qualifications or applicant requirements: minimum GPA of 3.00 or something like that). GPA is usually very low on the list for eliminating applicants.

0
0

Cenk’s Answer

It would be good when you are starting to your career as you will not have any experience regarding to job you are applying. But its importance will become less and less when you are moving in your work life. your experience level will replace the importance of GPA.

0
0

Jordan’s Answer

As a hiring manager, GPA is only important to me if it is a candidates' first job out of college. If they have had a job or two out of college, GPA is no longer important to me, rather their work experience is!

0
0

It is often used when applying for federal government jobs, even now, 33 years after I graduated. It can also be used for science, medical, and accounting jobs. Other than that, I don't see any reference to it when doing job search. If applying for entry-level positions straight out of school, it might be requested. Once you are past that, I would not be concerned with it. However, ALWAYS do the very best you can!! Your professors have the ability to refer you to positions in the community!

0
0

Amy’s Answer

It is optional to post this on your resume. Employers generally don't need this information. As Keith stated, it would be beneficial to use it for graduate school or academic related internships & jobs.

0
0

Simeon’s Answer

It depends on the job that you're applying for, but most companies will look at experience more than GPA when it comes to your applications. And even for the jobs that consider your GPA, it won't matter much beyond the first job that you land.
0
0

Vidya’s Answer

The short answer is- it depends! There are a number of parameters- are you applying for an entry level job as a fresh graduate? What is the sector of the company? What is the company rule about GPA? Often, most companies look for 3.0 as minimum for a graduate job. And it is usually just a qualifier. It is best to check on this with the recruiting manager or check if there are specifications mentioned in the job description.

For any subsequent job movements, I've personally never been asked for my GPA. Instead, you'd be hired for the skills and knowledge you'd bring to the company.

Hope this helps!
0