Career Questions tagged Job Applications

CV Office Hours .’s Avatar
CV Office Hours . Nov 03, 2020 206 views

How to incorporate significant volunteer experiences into the resume?

I'm transitioning from education to community impact. Office Hours #1: Resume Writing with Judy Park [38:45] This question was posed by a question during one of our most recent "CareerVillage Office Hours" sessions. During Office Hours sessions, we invite students to pose questions related...

#job-applications #resume-building #resume

CV Office Hours .’s Avatar
CV Office Hours . Nov 03, 2020 150 views

How can I address gaps in my knowledge or knowledge that deviates from my field when applying to a job?

Office Hours #1: Resume Writing with Judy Park [37:50] This question was posed by a question during one of our most recent "CareerVillage Office Hours" sessions. During Office Hours sessions, we invite students to pose questions related to a specific topic. In this case, the topic was resume...

#resume-building #job-applications #skillset #resume

CV Office Hours .’s Avatar
CV Office Hours . Nov 03, 2020 105 views

How do I focus on a hybrid resume of marketing, creative, culture, and data when I'm changing industries?

Office Hours #1: Resume Writing with Judy Park [36:25] This question was posed by a question during one of our most recent "CareerVillage Office Hours" sessions. During Office Hours sessions, we invite students to pose questions related to a specific topic. In this case, the topic was resume...

#job-applications #resume-building #resume #changing-industries

CV Office Hours .’s Avatar
CV Office Hours . Nov 03, 2020 123 views

How can I pinpoint transferrable skills from an old job to a new job in a new industry domain?

Office Hours #1: Resume Writing with Judy Park [34:47] This question was posed by a question during one of our most recent "CareerVillage Office Hours" sessions. During Office Hours sessions, we invite students to pose questions related to a specific topic. In this case, the topic was resume...

#resume-building #job-applications #new-job #skillset #resume

CV Office Hours .’s Avatar
CV Office Hours . Nov 03, 2020 85 views

How do you come up with outcomes and numbers when you don't have the stats?

This is in reference to including specific details on performance or accomplishments when writing a resume. Office Hours #1: Resume Writing with Judy Park [35:27] This question was posed by a question during one of our most recent "CareerVillage Office Hours" sessions. During Office Hours...

CV Office Hours .’s Avatar
CV Office Hours . Nov 03, 2020 113 views

Is it okay to be more artistic/creative with your resume if you're applying for a more creative job?

Office Hours #1: Resume Writing with Judy Park [39:48] This question was posed by a question during one of our most recent "CareerVillage Office Hours" sessions. During Office Hours sessions, we invite students to pose questions related to a specific topic. In this case, the topic was resume...

#job-applications #resume-building #resume #creative

CV Office Hours .’s Avatar
CV Office Hours . Nov 03, 2020 74 views

If a qualified job reference AKA working certificate is required to be handed in with your resume, and it's sub-par, how would you deal with that situation?

Office Hours #1: Resume Writing with Judy Park [41:10] This question was posed by a question during one of our most recent "CareerVillage Office Hours" sessions. During Office Hours sessions, we invite students to pose questions related to a specific topic. In this case, the topic was resume...

#resume-building #job-applications #references #work-certificate #resume

CV Office Hours .’s Avatar
CV Office Hours . Nov 03, 2020 90 views

Is a functional style resume taken seriously?

Office Hours #1: Resume Writing with Judy Park [43:00] This question was posed by a question during one of our most recent "CareerVillage Office Hours" sessions. During Office Hours sessions, we invite students to pose questions related to a specific topic. In this case, the topic was resume...

CV Office Hours .’s Avatar
CV Office Hours . Nov 03, 2020 172 views

How do I better highlight my marketing experience on my resume?

There were always marketing aspects in my past several jobs. Now I want to apply to marketing-focused jobs. The job description asks for 5 years of relevant marketing experience. The 5 years of experience I have are not consistent, and my job title does not sound marketing related. How do I...

#resume-building #job-experience #job-applications #marketing #resume

Ethan R.’s Avatar
Ethan R. Apr 16, 2018 483 views

what keeps you employed ?

Can my characteristics, appearance, and good work improve my chances in keeping a gob? #work #employment #job #job-applications #advancement #career-advising...

#human-resources

Jacquelyn B.’s Avatar
Jacquelyn B. Apr 16, 2018 346 views

Where should I start to get a job?

This is my first time applying for a job I don't have much experience but I do know that I wanted to pursue a career in the performing arts where should I start? #first-job #theatre #help #job-applications #jobs #employment #performing-arts...

#arts

Claudette L.’s Avatar
Claudette L. May 29, 2018 322 views

What are my chances of of landing internships and competing with younger applicants.?

I’m 51 years old and finishing my bachelors . Worried about job offers and internships not coming my way. #human-resources #internships #jobs #discrimination...

#job-applications

Karen W.’s Avatar
Karen W. May 16, 2018 607 views

What is a 401K and should I apply for one in my first job?

As I prepare to go into my career, I know insurances and benefits are a huge part of accepting a job. I have never really understood what a 401K is and if I need to apply for it! #401k #insurance #interviews...

#job-applications

INGRID M.’s Avatar
INGRID M. Jan 16, 2018 515 views

How can we have a professional yet diverse Resume to apply to jobs and be eye catching without having to create different resumes?

I have applied to numerous jobs in the past. It seems that for each job, My resume does not seem to target that specific job's experience requirements. I do possess experience in diverse things, which and it is difficult to creat a resume that would be professional, yet would be eye catching...

#job-search #job-applications #resume #jobs

Brandon S.’s Avatar
Brandon S. Jan 16, 2018 317 views

What is the best way to stand out in an application for an internship?

Because currently on LinkedIn there are some interesting internship opportunities that have intrigued me and i want to know how i can make the most of the opportunity in the application process. #internships #resume...

#job-applications

Teleola A.’s Avatar
Teleola A. Jan 26, 2018 497 views

Must your previous volunteer positions be relevant to job application?

Are employers interested in the type of volunteering you? By this I mean, do employers want people that have volunteered in activities that are directly relevant or related to the jobs they are applying for? (specifically jobs in business/management)Or can any volunteer experience help when...

#job-skills #volunteering #employer #business #job-applications

Betsy G.’s Avatar
Betsy G. Jul 21, 2016 738 views

When writing a resume, how do you write about your weaknesses in such a way that will make you more likely to be hired?

Being a tenth grader in high school, I am required to work community service hours. In order to do this I must get a job as a volunteer or intern somewhere. In order to apply for certain positions a resume is required to be submitted. I would like to know how to write one to the best of my...

#job-applications #college #volunteering #job-application

Leah A.’s Avatar
Leah A. Feb 11, 2017 1395 views

How easy is it to get a minimum wage job?

I've been considering how much someone would struggle when they get out of college with experience but not quite the right kind. Is experience what matters? I understanf that everyone "starts at the bottom" but how have much time will that take to even get a job straight out of college? I tried...

#first-job #job-applications #grad #post

Sydney R.’s Avatar
Sydney R. Jun 21, 2016 557 views

When is the optimal time to apply for a summer job?

I'm wondering if there's still enough time for me to apply for a job this summer. I have to go back to college in September, so I'd only have July and August to work. Is that enough time to get hired, be trained and hold a job? #jobs #work #hiring #employment #summer-jobs #part-time...

#employee-training #job-applications

Jerry L.’s Avatar
Jerry L. Jun 20, 2016 1862 views

Does "experience" always mean "professional experience"?

I see a lot of job/internship listings that require the applicant to have experiences in fields that suggest he may not necessarily need professional experience (a past position). For example, some social media internships require the candidate to have "social media experience: 1+ years". Would...

#job-applications #social-media #qualifying-prospects

Kathleen A.’s Avatar
Kathleen A. May 17, 2016 771 views

What is the best way to stand out amongst other applicants?

When applying to internships and jobs, what are the best and most important ways to make yourself stand out from the pool of applicants? #internships #job-search #resume...

#job-applications

Kathleen A.’s Avatar
Kathleen A. May 17, 2016 870 views

How important is your GPA when applying for jobs?

Do employers who have a lot of applicants narrow down their search by looking at GPA? #job-search #resume #gpa #job-applications...

#competition

Maggie C.’s Avatar
Maggie C. May 12, 2016 961 views

What is the difference in having volunteer work or paid job experience - besides the factor of money - in applying for a non-temporary job/career-related job?

I am debating whether to volunteer frequently, which would be easier to do over the summer before I go off to school, or to apply for jobs in my area, which I will have to quit before I leave. #career #resume #volunteering #college-jobs #employment #volunteer...

#job-applications