Career Questions tagged Hiring

Christian S.’s Avatar
Christian S. Jun 02

How do companies view military service?

When hiring, do companies view military service as a good or bad thing? If it it a good thing, what branch looks best? Marines, Army, Army National Guard, Air Force, Air National Guard, Navy, Coast Guard? And does it look better to have been an enlisted or officer? (I'm guessing the best...

#technology #any #major #hiring #military #company #army #career #marine #future #marines #corporate #coast-guard #pilot #aviation #college #navy

Erica M.’s Avatar
Erica M. Jan 19, 2018

When people leave college do they get hired faster after getting their degree?

I wanna know how long it takes to get hired. #scholarship question #hiring #job-fair...

#finding-a-job

Kellen L.’s Avatar
Kellen L. May 28, 2018

Do many companies focus on hiring recent college graduates?

I will be graduating from TTU...

#hiring

Kellen L.’s Avatar
Kellen L. May 28, 2018
Cameron C.’s Avatar
Cameron C. May 07, 2018

How can I set myself apart without seeming arrogant?

When applying for jobs I feel awkward pitching myself as "the best candidate". I want to seem like a team player and I dont want to give off the impression that I think I'm better than everyone else, but I do want to set myself apart from others so I can get hired....

#hiring

Loren V.’s Avatar
Loren V. Apr 18, 2018

Is it worth it to apply for jobs you are only slightly qualified for?

I was wondering if it is a good idea to apply for higher level jobs even if you don't have a degree or a specialization that is required or desired. Would someone hiring even consider me? #hiring #employment #jobs...

#future-career

Loren V.’s Avatar
Loren V. Apr 18, 2018

How do I sell my General Bachelor of Arts to future employers?

I am studying both German and Spanish right now in university. I know that language abilities are helpful to a variety of jobs, but if an employer isn't hiring a job that specifically asks for language skills, how to I make myself still seem applicable? #language #foreign-languages #german...

#spanish #hiring

Jacquelyn B.’s Avatar
Jacquelyn B. Apr 16, 2018

What are appropriate questions to ask during and interview?

I want to hire someone for a job but I'm not quite sure what the est things to ask them are. What should I ask the person ? What are some common Interview questions? #interviewing-skills #hiring...

#interviews

Alisha S.’s Avatar
Alisha S. Jan 12, 2018

What is the verdict on Online Learning Courses and accreditation?

I am studying in university, but I have often taken supplementary online courses on sites like Udemy and FutureLearn. How do recruiters look at these certifications - are they impressed or are they just overlooked? #recruiting #online-learning #certifications...

#hiring

Alisha S.’s Avatar
Alisha S. Jan 12, 2018

What qualities make a fresh graduate stand out to employers?

How important is a student's GPA upon graduation? What can one do to increase the likelihood of getting hired? #graduation #hiring #college...

#university

Kelly L.’s Avatar
Kelly L. May 18, 2016

What qualifications are you looking for in a newly graduate person?

Want to know for future reference, I like to hear from the professional side. #career-counseling #career #hiring...

Mounia M.’s Avatar
Mounia M. Apr 01, 2017

Is it ever acceptable to ask members of the organization you interviewed with about other organizations that are potentially hiring?

I had an informational interview with an organization about their upcoming AmeriCorps position, which starts in August. I am currently unemployed and have been advised by family and peers to inquire about other organizations I can work at in the interim. Is it acceptable to ask? And if so how...

#interviews #job-application #jobs #americorps #financial-planning #hiring

Eric B.’s Avatar
Eric B. Jan 24, 2017

What are good ways for a recent graduate to make up for lack of experience when trying to get their first job in computer programming?

I will be graduating soon, and due to personal circumstances and the local economy, I've been unable to get an internship. I worry that this will prevent me from getting a good job when I graduate. How can I make up for this lack of experience on my resume? #computer-software #software...

#job-application #personal-development #software-engineering #information-technology #hiring #software-development #career-details #programming

Bridget S.’s Avatar
Bridget S. Feb 22, 2017

When applying for entry level jobs while still in college/ recent graduate, do employers care about GPA?

I work really hard and have a 4.0 GPA in college as a full time student, some kids that I talk to say that GPA doesn't matter in the real world. I am asking a professional, does a high GPA show for an excellent work ethic and intelligence? #management #resume #interviews #college-jobs #hiring...

#resume-writing #first-job #employment #job-application

Melissa A.’s Avatar
Melissa A. Mar 03, 2017

What are some key words that really stick out to employers?

I am working on my new resume and I want to try to get the attention of the employer so I am not passed because my resume is ordinary. #criminal-justice #recruiting #hiring #homeland-security...

#job-application

Kim D.’s Avatar
Kim D. Mar 07, 2017

When you're fresh out of college is it best to work for a while, travel, or go straight to Grad school?

I'm curious about the current state of the job market as it pertains to the hiring rate of students fresh out of college with their first Bachelor's degree. Do most employers favor new grads who've worked while in school? If so, how do students who have little work experience due to being...

#job-search #recruiting #college-admissions #job-application #hiring #college-jobs #job-market #employment #graduate-school

Melissa A.’s Avatar
Melissa A. Jul 29, 2017

How do you you sell yourself on a resume if it looks a bit jumpy?

I spent my twenties sort of jumping from job to job, the longest being 2 1/2 years. My final position was a farce because the amount of money I was supposed to make was a lie and the people who made the job agreement were "let go." Anyhow, I decided to take a little break and ended up moving...

#talent-recruiting #human-resources #hiring #job-application

Melissa A.’s Avatar
Melissa A. Jul 29, 2017

If you received a misdemeanor in a state years ago, does that affect one from obtaining a job?

I received a misdemeanor years ago, yet am still looking for a position. It wasn't theft or anything, just mischief. Will a hiring manager consider this when deciding on hiring me or can they see it was for what it was a mistake and funny when discussed. #hiring #recruiting...

#human-resources

Laiz A.’s Avatar
Laiz A. Apr 10, 2017

How can I set myself apart when applying for jobs?

I will be graduating this semester (Woohoo!) and am currently looking for jobs to gain work experience to act as stepping stones in building a career. I work as a server at a restaurant, but realize I need to focus on my future. To the jobs I have already applied to, there are many I have yet...

#entry-level #business #business-development #hiring-managers #hiring

Yayuk S.’s Avatar
Yayuk S. Mar 29, 2017

How to write easy read CV by HR manager?

I am a lifelong student and actively looking for a job but always never hear anything back from companies I applied for. #graduate #manager #hiring...

#fresh

Mohammad A.’s Avatar
Mohammad A. Mar 24, 2017

How should I negotiate the pay rate of a job?

I'm an Engineering student and I've been actively looking for jobs to apply for. I have found several attractive opportunities but I would like to have a higher pay for some to help with my finances without risking losing them. I wonder how I could do that. #engineering #career #job-search...

#human-resources #hiring

Olivea V.’s Avatar
Olivea V. Feb 12, 2017

Is there a "season" or "cycle" when employers post summer jobs for high school students?

It's February and school ends in mid-June. Should I start applying for jobs now, or is it too early? Do employer's start looking for summer help in the spring, or do they wait until closer to June? #hiring #summer-jobs #high-school-students #employers #summer-internship #high-school-jobs...

#student-interns #hiring-practice

Eric B.’s Avatar
Eric B. Jan 27, 2017

Should I list work experience from before college that doesn't apply to my chosen career field when applying for my first job in my chosen field?

I have years of experience in assorted fields before I went to college. I am graduating soon, and want to get a job in programming. I have no technology field experience outside of coursework. Should I list my other experience on my resume, or just start fresh with college? #programming...

#information-technology #hiring

Melissa H.’s Avatar
Melissa H. Dec 21, 2016

What traits does a hiring manager look for in a graduating student who does not have years of work experience?

I am about to head into my last semester of college and have not yet found an internship. I may have to move after graduating, and was wondering what traits help an applicant/candidate get a job when they do not have the years of work experience behind them. #human-resources...

#hiring

Shruthi B.’s Avatar
Shruthi B. Oct 20, 2016

How do you get enough experience to get hired?

I was talking to a few of my college- going friends and they mentioned that it was difficult to find good jobs that would hire them without experience. Is this a real problem that everyone faces and if so how do we get enough experience to get hired by the companies we want? #human-resources...

#experience #hiring

Gabriella G.’s Avatar
Gabriella G. Oct 31, 2016

what do companies look for when they're hiring?

i want to make sure i fulfill those things that can make me more eligible to be employed in the future #international #entertainment...

#hiring

Shruthi B.’s Avatar
Shruthi B. Oct 20, 2016

How do I, as a high schooler, figure out exactly what I'm interested in career wise?

All my life, I've always wanted to go into medicine, but recently I've been having doubts as 10 years of medical school sounds daunting and expensive. I'm trying to look for more options and see if medicine truly is the path for me so I'm taking a lot of experimental classes such as computer...

#graphic-design #psychology #volunteering #medicine #college-major #computer-science #hiring

Tylea M.’s Avatar
Tylea M. Oct 10, 2016

How do you effectively communicate your value to an employer in a short interaction?

Received a call from a potential employer and wanted to know how best to communicate value during a phone pres-screen. #business #marketing #communications #recruiting #hiring #customer-service #professional-development...

#phone-etiquette

Karen P.’s Avatar
Karen P. Aug 07, 2016

What are the essential skills you need to possess when on the search for a job/career. How would I develop and practice these skills as a high school student?

Many have started their job/career lives during high school, whether it be a summer job or necessary part-time work during the school year. Many high school students have also gone out to look for a job, but have come back without a single "You're hired!". I would like to know if there are...

#interviewing-skills #student-counseling #student-development #high-school #communication-skills #hiring