Career Questions tagged Professional Development

Shiloh B.’s Avatar
Shiloh B. May 10, 2018

What is the most important professional quality a person can have?

Employers, teachers, colleges, and even parents all search for and even expect certain qualities in people. What are a few of the qualities you look for in someone and what do you think the most important quality would be? #qualified #expectations #personal-development #professional-development...

#professional-training

Erykah W.’s Avatar
Erykah W. Apr 26, 2018

How can I have better professional conversations?

I'm a pretty good talker between friends and in casual settings but haven't really had a chance to flex my professional speaking skills. In terms of future internship employers and professors, what are some good, non invasive topics to carry easy conversation? #professional-development...

#conversion-optimization #public-speaking

Abby H.’s Avatar
Abby H. Jan 17, 2018

How do you make connections for jobs?

How do I make the connections needed to find high-paying jobs? I am planning on graduating with a degree in International Business, and I am aware that you need connections with other people in the business to receive these kinds of jobs. #jobs #connections #networking #professional-development...

#communication

Victoria S.’s Avatar
Victoria S. Jan 17, 2018

What if you are shy? How do you get involved at college?

I don't really enjoy being in groups. Worried about finding a way to meet other at college. #confidence #college #getting-involved #college-advice...

#professional-development

Adrian W.’s Avatar
Adrian W. Apr 19, 2018

What is the best way to pay for college without a credit-worthy cosigner?

I am a sophomore in college, and I am just curious on the best way to pay for college. I am a theatre major, and I don't have a cosigner who has good enough credit. I am really looking for advice on scholarships/grants/etc.. Anything helps! #college #college-major #college-jobs...

#film #theatre #first-generation-college-students #student-loans #musical-theatre #student #loans #scholarships #work-life-balance #professional-development

Adrian W.’s Avatar
Adrian W. Apr 19, 2018

Is it better to take a gap year after graduating college?

I am a sophomore in college, and I am just curious on the best way to saving money after graduation. This would be to prepare for the student loan burden. Would it be better to move back home and work a minimum wage job, or try and find a job in a big city that pays more? #college...

#film #theatre #musical-theatre #college-jobs #college-major #work-life-balance #professional-development

Karena K.’s Avatar
Karena K. Apr 02, 2018

What are some interview tips?

I am applying to optometry school this year, so hopefully I get some interviews! #eyes #optometry #interviews...

#professional-development

Jeancarlo B.’s Avatar
Jeancarlo B. Jan 17, 2018

What is a skill or quality most people overlook when it comes to interviewing that is actually vitally important?

As a college student, the transition to the workforce is happening really soon. Since I will have to do many interviews, what soft skill or quality should I make sure I have in order to make myself as hirable as possible? #interviews #jobs #computer-science #professional-development #stem...

#working-in-big-companies

Eduardo Y.’s Avatar
Eduardo Y. Sep 01, 2017
Alexandra C.’s Avatar
Alexandra C. Aug 13, 2017

How do you ask an institution or professional for shadowing opportunities?

I am currently a college psychology student. There is a particular clinical institution that I would be interested in doing some shadowing at. My problem is that I'm not sure how to ask if shadowing opportunities are available when I have no prior relationship with the institution. My target...

#communication-skills #job-shadowing #clinical-psychology #networking #therapy #psychology #career-exploration #career-planning #professional-development

Brenda S.’s Avatar
Brenda S. Apr 29, 2017

How do you address recipients in your email professionally?

Hello! I'm currently a freshman university student, and I send a lot of emails through my university email, to professors and university staff alike. I've done research on the right ways to email professors, reading tons and tons of articles but a Google search can't seem to help me. It's a...

#personal-development #professionalism #university #communication-skills #professional-training #communications #college #email #professional-development

Gabriela  C.’s Avatar
Gabriela C. Dec 10, 2016

What should I include in my professional summary in my resume ?

Helllo , I am trying to work on my resume , but I am getting too many mixed ideas for my summary part in my resume help ! #resume #professional-development #summary...

#job-application

Joel T.’s Avatar
Joel T. Mar 26, 2017

How many different types of resumés are there?

I'm interested in learning more about how many resumes I can have. #marketing #professional-development...

#job-application

Paajcha Julie X.’s Avatar
Paajcha Julie X. Apr 30, 2017

LinkedIn profile: Tailored towards a certain profession or master resume?

The reason I am asking this question is because I've seen a number of profiles on LinkedIn that seem to be master resumes and others that seem to be tailored. Recently, I have been starting to use LinkedIn more often and fixing and editing my profile. Does it depend on how you use LinkedIn?...

#job-application #career #writing #resume #job #career-counseling #linkedin #work #professional-development

Brenda S.’s Avatar
Brenda S. Apr 30, 2017

Is there a cut-off for relevant information on resumes on Linked In, or should you include everything?

**For everyone who doesn’t have a LinkedIn and is reading this, I’d advise you to make one right now! It helps a lot, and even just making one and adding new things to it helps so much! LinkedIn is getting increasingly more popular with both employers and job-seekers. My university highly...

#job-application #writing #professional-training #resume #resume-writing #linkedin #career #professional-development

Galina B.’s Avatar
Galina B. Apr 14, 2017

How can I effectively use LinkedIn if I do not have many real-life connections?

I am a high school student and I created a LinkedIn account two years ago but I do not have much on my profile and only 4 connections. I am in school most of the time, so I do not have a lot of work or volunteering experience. My town is small and not a lot of people I associate with have a...

#linkedin #branding #networking #professional-development

Mounia M.’s Avatar
Mounia M. Feb 09, 2017

What are the best ways to network?

I'm wondering what are the most effective methods of networking? Is volunteering the best or are informational interviews with professionals in my field of choice? I want to gain a network before applying for grad school and find a mentor. #graduate-school #volunteering #networking #mentoring...

#professional-mentoring #professional-training #professional-development

Destiny  N.’s Avatar
Destiny N. Feb 08, 2017

What college do you have to go to to be an actor?

Because I've joined theatre and I've started to grow an interest in acting #professional-development #team-leadership...

#product-development

Zachary Y.’s Avatar
Zachary Y. Jan 12, 2017

How do i figure out what to wear to an internship interview?

I am a junior college student majoring in Geography. I am looking to obtain an internship in the field of transportation. I have recently got two internship interviews and am curious what I should wear to them. #college #internships #interviews #professional-development...

#geography

Patrick K.’s Avatar
Patrick K. Dec 29, 2016

What was your first job in the game development industry? Please share your experiences--the good, the bad, the ugly, all of it--with me.

Hello. I am an aspiring Game Designer/Developer who's attending college to get my Bachelor's Degree. I was just wondering to all the veterans and professionals in the Game Development world, what was your first job title working in the industry? Did you like it? Was it memorable? What game...

#challenges #video-games #video-game-design #computer-games #game-development #game-design #successes #professional-development

Brandon L.’s Avatar
Brandon L. Nov 07, 2016

What are some practical ways to know if a job position is a good fit for me?

The jump from college (or school in general) to a career is a big step. #resume #interviews #professional-development...

#corporate

Alexa O.’s Avatar
Alexa O. Oct 22, 2016

Do you think it's fair that a single standardized test can define you in your education?

I have recently begun applying to colleges. In doing so, I have been asked on numerous occasions what my ACT and SAT score is. Personally, I believe that one test should not be a determining factor in whether or not you get into college. Students have worked their whole primary education in...

#principal #education-management #japan #education #higher-education #professional-development #teacher

Tylea M.’s Avatar
Tylea M. Oct 10, 2016

How do you effectively communicate your value to an employer in a short interaction?

Received a call from a potential employer and wanted to know how best to communicate value during a phone pres-screen. #business #marketing #communications #recruiting #hiring #customer-service #professional-development...

#phone-etiquette

Alexandra C.’s Avatar
Alexandra C. Oct 05, 2016

How do you ask a professional to do an informational interview with you?

I am currently a freshman in a professional development for psychology class, and we have an assignment to talk to someone in a position of our choice for an informational interview. I was considering talking to someone from the Kinsey institute since I might want to volunteer there in grad...

#communication #interviews #career-path #career #professional-development

Miriam S.’s Avatar
Miriam S. May 25, 2016

How beneficial are office hours for students to get to talk and ask questions with their professors?

I just would like to know how much I would get out of office hours and how they typically work. #college #professor #human-resources...

#professional-development

Joshua G.’s Avatar
Joshua G. Feb 29, 2012

I have a problem managing my time, how would I fix this problem?

I'm 15 and I have trouble managing my time and staying focused at school. How can I fix this? What did you do? #time-management...

#professional-development

Anne L.’s Avatar
Anne L. May 04, 2016

What technology should I be learning in high school to prepare for college and the 'real world'?

I had an internship where I saw a lot of the employees using different kind of technology programs (Google docs was one of them). Are there specific tools or programs you recommend I learn that would apply to most jobs? I want to learn now so that I can use them in and after college! #college...

#technology #professional-development

Maxwell G.’s Avatar
Maxwell G. Apr 28, 2016

What are some common mistakes you see job seekers make when interviewing for a role at your company?

I am preparing for interviews for internships so I thought I'd ask what common (or not so common) mistakes young people make when interviewing at your company so that I can avoid making those mistakes when I start interviewing at companies I want to work for! Thank you! #human-resources...

#interviews #professional-development