Career Questions tagged Professional Development

Erica O.’s Avatar
Erica O. Jul 27 85 views

What elements makes a great pitch?

How do get people to buy my story? I've been developing an idea to expand my business. But since I'm a beginner, I fairly know about pitches and would want more advice on how to develop a strong pitch.

Freddie J.’s Avatar
Freddie J. May 31 188 views

Can you put community service on your resume or even college application?

I have about 50+ hours of community service and I was wondering if I can use it for resumes and even college applications. Does it count as extracurricular activities or does it entirely depend on the project that I was working on. I was reading question about this and I remembered that I...

Shaina T.’s Avatar
Shaina T. Apr 16 247 views

What do I say in my email?

Hi! I am asked to email my resume to a recruiter for a free internship. Are there any do's/ don'ts in writing emails for a recruiter or formatting that is appropriate? What do I say in the body of the email?

Ian M.’s Avatar
Ian M. Jul 20, 2020 412 views

Beside internships, how can college students build their professional development toward entry-level careers?

#college-student #human-resources #professional-development #JULY20

Olivia Y.’s Avatar
Olivia Y. Apr 16, 2020 392 views

Is it appropriate to put free massive online open courses (MOOCs) on a resume?

#job-application #resume #CV #professional-development

Olivia Y.’s Avatar
Olivia Y. Apr 16, 2020 486 views

After undergrad, is it beneficial/worth it to work in my field for a year or so before applying to graduate school?

#graduate-school #professional-development #job-experience #research #science #STEM

Shiloh B.’s Avatar
Shiloh B. May 10, 2018 894 views

What is the most important professional quality a person can have?

Employers, teachers, colleges, and even parents all search for and even expect certain qualities in people. What are a few of the qualities you look for in someone and what do you think the most important quality would be? #qualified #expectations #personal-development #professional-development...

Erykah W.’s Avatar
Erykah W. Apr 26, 2018 644 views

How can I have better professional conversations?

I'm a pretty good talker between friends and in casual settings but haven't really had a chance to flex my professional speaking skills. In terms of future internship employers and professors, what are some good, non invasive topics to carry easy conversation? #professional-development...

Adrian W.’s Avatar
Adrian W. Apr 19, 2018 584 views

What is the best way to pay for college without a credit-worthy cosigner?

I am a sophomore in college, and I am just curious on the best way to pay for college. I am a theatre major, and I don't have a cosigner who has good enough credit. I am really looking for advice on scholarships/grants/etc.. Anything helps! #college #college-major #college-jobs...

Adrian W.’s Avatar
Adrian W. Apr 19, 2018 658 views

Is it better to take a gap year after graduating college?

I am a sophomore in college, and I am just curious on the best way to saving money after graduation. This would be to prepare for the student loan burden. Would it be better to move back home and work a minimum wage job, or try and find a job in a big city that pays more? #college...

Karena K.’s Avatar
Karena K. Apr 02, 2018 559 views

What are some interview tips?

I am applying to optometry school this year, so hopefully I get some interviews! #eyes #optometry #interviews #professional-development

Abby H.’s Avatar
Abby H. Jan 17, 2018 637 views

How do you make connections for jobs?

How do I make the connections needed to find high-paying jobs? I am planning on graduating with a degree in International Business, and I am aware that you need connections with other people in the business to receive these kinds of jobs. #Jobs #Connections #networking #professional-development...

Jeancarlo B.’s Avatar
Jeancarlo B. Jan 17, 2018 625 views

What is a skill or quality most people overlook when it comes to interviewing that is actually vitally important?

As a college student, the transition to the workforce is happening really soon. Since I will have to do many interviews, what soft skill or quality should I make sure I have in order to make myself as hirable as possible? #interviews #jobs #computer-science #professional-development #stem...

Victoria S.’s Avatar
Victoria S. Jan 17, 2018 529 views

What if you are shy? How do you get involved at college?

I don't really enjoy being in groups. Worried about finding a way to meet other at college. #confidence #college #getting-involved #college-advice #professional-development

Eduardo Y.’s Avatar
Eduardo Y. Sep 01, 2017 834 views

How can I better myself as a person daily?

I want to become the best possible person I can become. #Greatness #personal-development #professional-development

Alexandra C.’s Avatar
Alexandra C. Aug 13, 2017 799 views

How do you ask an institution or professional for shadowing opportunities?

I am currently a college psychology student. There is a particular clinical institution that I would be interested in doing some shadowing at. My problem is that I'm not sure how to ask if shadowing opportunities are available when I have no prior relationship with the institution. My target...

Brenda S.’s Avatar
Brenda S. Apr 30, 2017 1280 views

Is there a cut-off for relevant information on resumes on Linked In, or should you include everything?

**For everyone who doesn’t have a LinkedIn and is reading this, I’d advise you to make one right now! It helps a lot, and even just making one and adding new things to it helps so much! LinkedIn is getting increasingly more popular with both employers and job-seekers. My university highly...

Paajcha Julie X.’s Avatar
Paajcha Julie X. Apr 30, 2017 1078 views

LinkedIn profile: Tailored towards a certain profession or master resume?

The reason I am asking this question is because I've seen a number of profiles on LinkedIn that seem to be master resumes and others that seem to be tailored. Recently, I have been starting to use LinkedIn more often and fixing and editing my profile. Does it depend on how you use LinkedIn?...

Brenda S.’s Avatar
Brenda S. Apr 29, 2017 1285 views

How do you address recipients in your email professionally?

Hello! I'm currently a freshman university student, and I send a lot of emails through my university email, to professors and university staff alike. I've done research on the right ways to email professors, reading tons and tons of articles but a Google search can't seem to help me. It's a...

Galina B.’s Avatar
Galina B. Apr 14, 2017 1074 views

How can I effectively use LinkedIn if I do not have many real-life connections?

I am a high school student and I created a LinkedIn account two years ago but I do not have much on my profile and only 4 connections. I am in school most of the time, so I do not have a lot of work or volunteering experience. My town is small and not a lot of people I associate with have a...

Joel T.’s Avatar
Joel T. Mar 26, 2017 1307 views

How many different types of resumés are there?

I'm interested in learning more about how many resumes I can have. #marketing #professional-development #job-application

Mounia M.’s Avatar
Mounia M. Feb 09, 2017 1016 views

What are the best ways to network?

I'm wondering what are the most effective methods of networking? Is volunteering the best or are informational interviews with professionals in my field of choice? I want to gain a network before applying for grad school and find a mentor. #graduate-school #volunteering #networking #mentoring...

Destiny  N.’s Avatar
Destiny N. Feb 08, 2017 705 views

What college do you have to go to to be an actor?

Because I've joined theatre and I've started to grow an interest in acting #professional-development #team-leadership #product-development

Zachary Y.’s Avatar
Zachary Y. Jan 12, 2017 919 views

How do i figure out what to wear to an internship interview?

I am a junior college student majoring in Geography. I am looking to obtain an internship in the field of transportation. I have recently got two internship interviews and am curious what I should wear to them. #college #internships #interviews #professional-development #geography

Patrick K.’s Avatar
Patrick K. Dec 29, 2016 915 views

What was your first job in the game development industry? Please share your experiences--the good, the bad, the ugly, all of it--with me.

Hello. I am an aspiring Game Designer/Developer who's attending college to get my Bachelor's Degree. I was just wondering to all the veterans and professionals in the Game Development world, what was your first job title working in the industry? Did you like it? Was it memorable? What game...

Gabriela  C.’s Avatar
Gabriela C. Dec 10, 2016 797 views

What should I include in my professional summary in my resume ?

Helllo ,
I am trying to work on my resume , but I am getting too many mixed ideas for my summary part in my resume
help ! #resume #professional-development #summary #job-application

Brandon L.’s Avatar
Brandon L. Nov 07, 2016 926 views

What are some practical ways to know if a job position is a good fit for me?

The jump from college (or school in general) to a career is a big step. #resume #interviews #professional-development #corporate

Alexa O.’s Avatar
Alexa O. Oct 22, 2016 885 views

Do you think it's fair that a single standardized test can define you in your education?

I have recently begun applying to colleges. In doing so, I have been asked on numerous occasions what my ACT and SAT score is. Personally, I believe that one test should not be a determining factor in whether or not you get into college. Students have worked their whole primary education in...

Tylea M.’s Avatar
Tylea M. Oct 10, 2016 879 views

How do you effectively communicate your value to an employer in a short interaction?

Received a call from a potential employer and wanted to know how best to communicate value during a phone pres-screen. #business #marketing #communications #recruiting #hiring #customer-service #professional-development #phone-etiquette

Alexandra C.’s Avatar
Alexandra C. Oct 05, 2016 791 views

How do you ask a professional to do an informational interview with you?

I am currently a freshman in a professional development for psychology class, and we have an assignment to talk to someone in a position of our choice for an informational interview. I was considering talking to someone from the Kinsey institute since I might want to volunteer there in grad...