Career Questions tagged Recruiting

Richard C.’s Avatar
Richard C. Aug 14, 2018 100 views
Alexandra C.’s Avatar
Alexandra C. Jun 20, 2018 199 views

Best college sports programs to become a professional athlete?

I'm a CareerVillage staff member and I'm posting this because we know that many young people are looking for the answer to this question. This is among the most popular questions searched by youth, and we're hoping you will take a moment to share your response to it. Thank you! #college #sports...

#athlete #athletics #student-athlete #professional-sports #pro-sports #recruiting

Kenneth C.’s Avatar
Kenneth C. Jan 16, 2018 243 views

How difficult will it be to get an athletic scholarship for college?

I've been doing a lot of research about college scholarships in general. I make good grades, and I'm a decent swimmer. There is so much competition out there and that makes me a little nervous about my chances. #college #scholarships #athletics #recruiting #financial-aid...

#swimming

Tanya M.’s Avatar
Tanya M. Feb 12, 2018 313 views

What are some relevant skills to stay competitive in the 21st century?

Would coding, trilingualism, graphic design, etc be relevant for marketing/PR/branding interns? Would this be something interns/students need to adopt in their skill set in order to stay competitive? If so, what kind of skills would you recommend, and why? #recruiting #communication-skills...

#branding #marketing #public-relations

Alisha S.’s Avatar
Alisha S. Jan 12, 2018 199 views

What is the verdict on Online Learning Courses and accreditation?

I am studying in university, but I have often taken supplementary online courses on sites like Udemy and FutureLearn. How do recruiters look at these certifications - are they impressed or are they just overlooked? #recruiting #online-learning #certifications...

#hiring

Alexandra C.’s Avatar
Alexandra C. Nov 25, 2017 314 views

Can you attend a 4-year school and be recruited for sports as a nontraditional student?

On behalf of a friend, I'm wondering if it's possible to be recruited for college athletics *and* earn a bachelor's degree as a nontraditional student. My friend is 24 and has experience in two sports. He has previously earned a 2-year degree from a technical college but is considering going...

#sports #recruiting #college-admissions #scholarships #nontraditional #college

Carmen M.’s Avatar
Carmen M. May 15, 2016 308 views

If I choose to take ROTC in college does that shut me out of being able to play sports?

I am trying to decide whether I should play sports or join ROTC, but I feel like if I choose one I will be shut out of the other. #recruiting #sports-coaching #college #military #career #career-counseling...

#athletics

Melissa A.’s Avatar
Melissa A. Feb 22, 2017 509 views

What do you do, when you don't know what to do with the rest of your life?

How do you know when you are 18 and starting to think about your major what you really want to do with the rest of your life? What if you are unsure? Did they talk to you about careers in high school? Mine didn't. It was accelerated, average, and vocational, oh wait and farmers. Maybe I...

#career-guidance #interviews #recruiting #guidance-counselor #undecided

Melissa A.’s Avatar
Melissa A. Jul 29, 2017 426 views

If you received multiple misdemeanors in various states which all were determined dismissed, will the government hire you?

I have a friend who got misdemeanors and an injunction in two different states, everything turned out to be dismissed or basically denied because nothing actually happened. They do show up in the court systems though. My friend wants to get a job with the government and has the skill set for...

#government #career-details #recruiting #human-resources #job-application #personal-development

Melissa A.’s Avatar
Melissa A. Mar 03, 2017 399 views

How can I transition a previous career in the Legal field to my new degree and Homeland Security?

I believe I have a lot of skills that I believe can be transferrable, but I am not sure how to make the transition. #recruiting #legal #homeland-security #personal-development...

#career-details

Timothy O.’s Avatar
Timothy O. Jun 10, 2016 2061 views

What are the benefits of interning/working for a startup?

I am a high school student and in my current search for internships, everywhere I turn, I see startups. Big companies such as Google and NASA have correspondingly big impact on resumes and portfolios but what do small startups have to offer in terms of extension and development of skill sets,...

#engineering #employee-relations #professional #startups #career #recruiting #business #personal-development

Abby G.’s Avatar
Abby G. Oct 27, 2016 964 views
Albert P.’s Avatar
Albert P. Jan 11, 2017 634 views

How do you prepare for a technical interview?

I am a computer science student, and I will be going to an engineering and technical fair in a few weeks from now, and the companies there often schedule technical interviews in the following days. How should I prepare for it? Is this a dress code that I should follow? #college...

#internship #interviews #career #computer-software #recruiting #job-application

Anush Reddy N.’s Avatar
Anush Reddy N. Sep 13, 2016 608 views

How powerful is LinkedIn ?

What is the role of LinkedIn in getting a job in US, are resumes given equal importance as LinkedIn. Which one is better ? #research #human-resources #resume #recruiting #resume-writing #linkedin...

#job-application

James S.’s Avatar
James S. Jan 27, 2017 573 views

In building my resume, what characteristics are most important?

Just want to know if I should be focusing on research, internships, volunteer opportunities or certifications? #career #career-counseling #career-choice #resume #recruiting #resume-writing #recruitment...

#job-application

Melissa A.’s Avatar
Melissa A. Feb 16, 2017 565 views

What is the best way to prepare a resume when you are changing fields and have a new degree?

I just want to know if there is a different way to prepare the resume to highlight the new education and desire to get into that field rather than falling back on your old jobs. I am looking for a career, not just a job. I want to dedicate myself but I need to know how to get recognized and...

#recruiting #human-resources #job-application

Melissa A.’s Avatar
Melissa A. Feb 22, 2017 543 views

What sorts of words stand out to you when evaluating a resume.

I decided to use the word innovative because I can be given a lot of material and make connections. I love research, there are so many avenues. #research #criminal-justice #human-resources #recruiting #cyber-crime...

#job-application

Melissa A.’s Avatar
Melissa A. Mar 03, 2017 593 views

What are some key words that really stick out to employers?

I am working on my new resume and I want to try to get the attention of the employer so I am not passed because my resume is ordinary. #criminal-justice #recruiting #hiring #homeland-security...

#job-application

Kim D.’s Avatar
Kim D. Mar 07, 2017 681 views

When you're fresh out of college is it best to work for a while, travel, or go straight to Grad school?

I'm curious about the current state of the job market as it pertains to the hiring rate of students fresh out of college with their first Bachelor's degree. Do most employers favor new grads who've worked while in school? If so, how do students who have little work experience due to being...

#job-application #employment #college-jobs #graduate-school #college-admissions #recruiting #hiring #job-market #job-search

Mohammad A.’s Avatar
Mohammad A. Mar 08, 2017 713 views

How important is including voluntary activities in one's resume?

I am an Electrical Engineering graduate student. I wonder if, in such a technical field as mine, adding voluntary activities such as working for X charity and the like can have any impact on the recruiter's decision to hire me. #mechanical-engineering #human-resources #civil-engineering...

#recruiting #technical-recruiting #electrical-engineering #job-application

Melissa A.’s Avatar
Melissa A. Mar 31, 2017 596 views

What are the key words employers look forward on a persons resume?

I am applying to positions, but have had recruiters make comments to my resume as not being as a highlight to employers, mostly I present myself as a doer and not an achiever. I just want to know what are some things I can do to improve my chances at obtaining a job, I mean I haven't even...

#recruiting #human-resources #job-application #talent-recruiting

Melissa A.’s Avatar
Melissa A. Jul 29, 2017 744 views

What type of resume do you provide for a social impact corporation?

It is hard enough just trying to make a resume to fit into the corporate world, but to make a resume that is specifically aimed at social impact, like human trafficking, there must be some way to get across how passionate you are about dealing with such matters. #corporate-social-responsibility...

Melissa A.’s Avatar
Melissa A. Jul 29, 2017 424 views

If you received a misdemeanor in a state years ago, does that affect one from obtaining a job?

I received a misdemeanor years ago, yet am still looking for a position. It wasn't theft or anything, just mischief. Will a hiring manager consider this when deciding on hiring me or can they see it was for what it was a mistake and funny when discussed. #hiring #recruiting...

#human-resources

Carmen Y.’s Avatar
Carmen Y. Apr 10, 2017 435 views

How can I get better at navigating career fairs?

As a shy person, I find it hard to get noticed at career fairs. What can I do to overcome this obstacle? #recruiting #personal-development...

#recruitment

Melissa A.’s Avatar
Melissa A. Mar 31, 2017 453 views

I am taking free courses that lead to certification with FEMA, will this be beneficial for government position?

I just received my Master's in Criminal Justice in Homeland Security and am now taking some online courses with FEMA and may start on some courses regarding statistics and the Design of Experiments. Would these be beneficial topics to get with to obtain a way into the government?...

#legal #criminology #government #fema #homeland-security #recruiting #criminal-justice #human-resources

Mohammad A.’s Avatar
Mohammad A. Mar 24, 2017 955 views

Is an internship viable even after graduation?

I'm an Engineer student and about to graduate. I am actively seeking jobs and kind of struggling to find a suitable job due to lack of work experience. However, internships seem to be attractive for me since most of them require little to no work experience. So I wonder if an internship is...

#engineering #electrical-engineering #recruiting #human-resources #job-search #career

NISARG S.’s Avatar
NISARG S. Mar 17, 2017 424 views

I am an international student, pursuing a Master's Degree in Electrical & Computer Engineer Carleton University.Is there any technical job which requires least coding?

Reason is that I am good at analytics, calculation , maths but bad at programming so I have a fear of note getting job due to my poor programming skills and I also think there might be many students like me who have same problem. #career-counseling #job-search #electrical-engineering...

#canada-university #cryptography #recruiting

Mohammad A.’s Avatar
Mohammad A. Mar 16, 2017 616 views

Is work experience more valuable than educational background?

I am a graduate Electrical Engineering student with little to no experience in the engineering field outside of the classroom. Lately, I have been applying to jobs and receiving little to no interest from engineering companies due to lack of experience even for some entry-level jobs. That made...

#engineering #recruiting #human-resources #education #career