How hard is it to have a family and work while working on your BSN? #continuinged

Trying to decide to keep going or not?? #family #work-life #work-life-balance #nursing #healthcare

8

Lisa’s Answer

Hi Camille, It can be very challenging. It depends on you as an individual. I would also say that you have to consider the age of the children if any as a toddler will make it a challenge to study especially if they are in the clingy Velcro to Mom stage. Hopefully you have a really good support system to help with the demands of trying to keep a home, and quality family time. It can be done, sometime you have to take longer to complete the classes, but in the end you will find it to be very rewarding. The most important thing is to remember to take time for yourself. If you don't reward yourself and allow some time for you, you will find it too difficult and often times the person will drop out of school. By going to school and the challenges of a family you will ultimately learn time management skills. That is a quality that will be invaluable in the workforce. It also depends on the number of credit hours you take per semester. 12 hours vs 22 hours. It also depends on the class and how intense it is, for example chemistry, anatomy, pharmacology classes are usually very intensive and require a lot of homework and studying. A lot of nursing students will work as a nursing tech in the hospital or nursing homes to not only get additional bedside experience, but to also supplement their income. A lot of the schools are associated with a particular hospital, and that hospital will usually have limited hour positions for the nursing students. Often times that will Segway into a position upon graduation. Nursing is the best profession there is in my opinion, 33 years and counting.

Good luck Lisa

Lisa recommends the following next steps:

Look into student tech positions at the hospital associated with your school, take smaller credit hours to balance work, school, family time.

0

Melissa’s Answer

Totally doable! The only thing stopping you is not pressing the submit button on the application!

I went to nursing school with a breastfeeding newborn, a 3 year old, and a 6 year old...by myself with no help.
I went back for the BSN when they were 4, 7 and 10...
I went back for the MSN- FNP when they were 10, 13 and 16...

Because when we have a goal, we are totally capable of making it happen. The only problem ends up being second- guessing our capability to handle life and school.

The hard thing would have been to NOT go back, and living with the regret of not doing what I knew I wanted to do. Which was get more education, so that I had more choices for me and my family.

If you already are a nurse, and you are going back for the BSN: The BSN is nothing like nursing school! Nothing. Like. It. I was very scared to go back to nursing school because I thought I would be encountering the same difficulty as the ADN program. I was wrong.

If you are talking about a BSN program in which you don't already have an RN: Just do it if this is something that has been put on your heart to do. Don't look back, and don't ask others for their opinions. Make a decision and go all in.

Best of everything to you and yours,
Melissa

0

Jessie’s Answer

BSN is way easier to manage than ASN. I know many people who completed their BSN program with a family and worked full time throughout the program. I personally did a BSN program over 3 years, instead of 2 years, while travel nursing and found the BSN program to still be much more manageable, time and effort wise, than the ASN program. Most nurses I have spoken to about this agree that BSN school is easier to complete than ASN. It is mostly discussion posts, papers, and some powerpoint presentations. There are some clinicals but a lot of it is research that you do not need to be physically present somewhere for; you just have to write out a report summarizing your research and hours spent doing it and your preceptor can sign off on those hours.

I hope some of these examples help you! I post daily on my instagram about my life as a travel nurse, in and outside of work, if you'd like a better idea of how I manage my time, give me a look-see.

Jessie Johnson
@messyjessielee

0

Talitha’s Answer

Don’t give up! It’s hard if you’re not organized it’s hard if you feel like you have the time. When I went back one of the things that helped me was getting clear on what I was doing with my time. There is a book called 12 week year that helps you focus on your daily habits. I took a catalog of what I did every hour for two weeks. Then I was able to see where I had extra time or where I could eliminate non productive things and fill it with more productive. But you can do this.

0

Carly’s Answer

Hi Camille,

It is challenging to work, juggle a family and work on your BSN. It is more possible than ever though with the flexibility of online schooling. Your dreams can be reality.

Carly recommends the following next steps:

Look at BSN programs that fit your lifestyle

0

Karen’s Answer

It is very hard to work when you are working and trying to go back to school. Then if you have children that depend on you for the survival, It is even more difficult.

Karen recommends the following next steps:

I suggest suggest that a student stay at home until you are finished or schooling if you can. It will lessen the burden of everyday pressures, and you can concentrate on studying.

0

Stasha-Gae’s Answer

Hello Camille. It can be very challenging but not impossible. Time management is key but I would encourage you to keep going and not stop .

0

Lisa’s Answer

There are so many online programs for RN to BSN that a very flexible. KEEP GOING !!!! I was going through a divorce and doing my BSN and working full time. You can do it. One class at a time if you have to.

0