Why does one consider becoming a psychologist/therapist?

For a long time now, I have wanted to be a psychologist because the human mind is extremely interesting but also because I feel like I could make a huge change in someone else's life. I have heard from many that I should consider an occupation that is more financially stable, which has caused a minor conflict of interest. So why do people do this, for money or fulfillment? Or maybe another third variable that I am yet to be made aware of? #psychology #clinical-psychology #choosing-a-career #therapy

Karin’s Answer

Hi! I also pondered this question for the same exact reasons a few years ago. Psychology is absolutely fascinating. If you find yourself asking WHY a lot, not just wanting to know surface answers, it might be a good role for you as it really analyzes the reasons behind decisions. You will want to have the desire to help people, but it's also so important that you have the ability to balance. If you tend to absorb emotions in other people, it will a very difficult job. This being said, the careers in psychology can vary. You will need a Ph.D or a Psy.D to become a full on Psychologist. That will take years of schooling you have to be willing to invest in (personally and financially). You could consider being a school counselor, or a mental health counselor, or even work a drug rehab or rehabilitation center.

If you are in a school that has a counselor, I would set up an informational meeting to learn about psychology and your interests. If you are in college, take a few courses, see if you can talk to a professor you trust about it as a career. My undergrad was in Psychology, but for a few reasons I ended up choosing a career in Human Resources, I was able to still use these skills, just slightly differently. Best wishes!

Karin recommends the following next steps:

• Set up a meeting with your school's counselor to see what they like/don't like about careers in psychology.
  • Research different career paths in Psychology.
  • Think about the time and money it will take to get you to the desired role.