How do I decide what I want to do with my degree?

I am a marketing major, and I love it. However, marketing is such a broad spectrum, and there are so many different things I could do with a marketing degree. How do I evaluate where I would fit best in a marketing career?

#marketing #marketing-career #career-choice #career-path #marketing-and-advertising

6

Stefania’s Answer

Your marketing major can open many different paths as every brand, large or small, has some sort of marketing arm. It can be very challenging to know where you want to work right off the bat, especially with so many options. Things will fall into place, but here are a few things you can do to help facilitate the process.

Stefania recommends the following next steps:

Answer some questions for yourself: What is it you like about marketing? Which aspects specifically appeal to you? Which courses or projects did you like best? What are your strength areas? Are you good at content creating? Delegating work? Do you like to work with a team?
Research, research and research! Dig around career search engines like Indeed.com or GlassDoor and search the job descriptions and different roles. Jot down anything that is of interest or sounds appealing to you. Jot down some company names that sound interesting too.
Talk to people! Informational interviewing is one of the best ways to learn about a company and what someone does there. Don't underestimate the power of reaching out to someone. Acknowledge how you found them and why you would be interested in learning more about where they work or what they do given your interest area. Remember to be mindful of time, but usually people are willing to give you 15-20 minutes of their time. The best way to do this is to also find people in the field. Talk to your peers, adults in your network, other professionals you've come across.
Intern, volunteer if you can. The best way to get a feel for whether something fits is to actually do it. If you have an opportunity to intern or volunteer some time, it will help you determine whether something feels right.

4

Brianna’s Answer

Hi there. Why don’t you try out a few internships? Maybe one in digital marketing, one in sales marketing, or advertising. There are many ways you can experiment and see what you want to do in marketing. What you learn in your major is important for your knowledge in the field, but when it comes to finding out what you like, you need to find out through experience. I definitely recommend starting with an internship.

0

Luisa’s Answer

There are a lot of different places you could start, but one tip would be finding a company that you would love to work for and look at the marketing jobs available. Read through them and see if any of them speak to your interests and skills.

Another thing is networking with people on LinkedIn that work in marketing and look at their work history and job descriptions. It's interesting to see how people got to where they are in the present. Some may surprise you. Don't feel that if you dive into one area and don't love it, you can't dive into another. That's how you find what you truly love!

0

Jill’s Answer

Because it's such a broad world for marketing, take a look at what interests you the most. Find a company/organization that does what you enjoy. Even if the department or focus area isn't your first role at the company, it could be your next.

0

Mayank’s Answer

Marketing degree is one of the most reputed degrees in the world.

Where to move in marketing requires self-assessment and opportunities.

List down all your strengths and check the careers (in marketing) which need those skills. Then figure it out, which career path is the one where you will enjoy the most. Also, you can go for some part time activities to understand the nuances of the career path.

All the best

0