Skip to main content
3 answers
Updated Viewed 454 times Translate

What is a good school to continue my bachelors degree in medical billing after community college?

I just entered the associates degree/certificate program at my community college.
medical-billing medicine accounting financial finance healthcare hospital-and-healthcare

Regarding medical billing: it would be easier to apply to companies that have openings in this field so you can gain experience. You can get the degree, but because medical billing deals with money (accounts receivables), providers are hesitant on hiring someone with a degree in the field vs. someone with several years experience. Alecia Toles

+25 Karma if successful
From: You
To: Friend
Subject: Career question for you

100% of 3 Pros

3 answers

Updated Translate

Amr’s Answer

Congrats. Try to follow the guidance in the below link that could help in tailoring your choice:
Updated Translate

Sergio’s Answer

Congratulations! You are well on your way to a successful career. While I can't tell you which school you should specifically consider with the information provided, I do recommend looking at the transfer limitations of your community college education. Example: If you completed your A.S. degree in Georgia with a 4.00 GPA, and wanted to complete a B.S. in Florida, there are certain classes you would have to repeat, primarily English and communications courses, because Florida has a rule called "The Gordon Rule" (UNF Ref: These rules are in place to ensure your education is the highest quality you can receive, but if going out of state, it may cause some re-work. Without knowing more about your situation, I would recommend first determining if you plan to stay in your home state. This will limit you, but will help you get much closer to a final answer.

I am not saying to rule out any out of state possibilities, I am recommending you research the limitations and possibilities of every school carefully. I wish you luck and continued prosperity! You are on track towards a bright future.

Sergio recommends the following next steps:

Decide if you are willing to go out of state
Assuming you are staying in state, please clarify which state you are in on the question above
Assuming you are willing to move out of state, specify that above so that you can get really great advice
List any limitations you may have (money, transportation, housing), if any.. This will help the group answer your questions
Updated Translate

Renee’s Answer

Honestly, you can get a medical billing certificate without having to go to a 4 year college. I would look into a local trade school that offers it in 12 - 18 months.

Great advice to consider Sergio Ibarra, MBA