Where is the best place to buy college textbooks?

Asked Algonquin, Illinois

I know amazon prime is a good online access to everything to buy. Should I buy it in person to make sure it is in good condition? I have also heard about websites that sell used textbooks? Is that trustworthy? Is buying a used textbook worth it?
#college #textbooks #online #confused

Lisa’s Answer

Updated Chicago, Illinois

I would agree that Amazon is a great place to buy college textbooks. There are several websites that buy/sell used college books. You can save a lot of money versus buying in the campus bookstore. But always remember to buy the exact edition that is on your syllabus and any of the supplements if the professor is requiring. For example, I purchased a used book online but it didn't have the supplemental CD that came with the book new. Being my professor required the CD, I had to go to the campus bookstore and buy the entire book new. Also, if you are going to resell your textbook online, do it as soon as you can as the editions have a "shelf-life" being professors typically require the latest editions.

Yvonne’s Answer

Updated Chicago, Illinois

Hello Melanie,

Here are some of the trustworthy websites that you could buy/rent college textbooks from besides Amazon:

(1) Chegg

(2) CampusBookRentals

(3) Textbooks.com

(4) BookRenter

Some of these websites even allow you to sell your used textbooks too! Personally, I think buying a used textbook is worth it because they are usually still in a good condition. Further, some used text books comes with notes from previous used and they may be able to help you understand a topic better. When I was still in college, I would choose to rent my textbook for classes that are electives and are not related to my major. I would either buy a new/used text book for classes related to my major because they could be a good reference book as I proceed to take a higher level class! Also, towards the end of the semester, do ask around your seniors if they are looking to sell their textbooks that you will need for the next semester! You may be able to just buy it from them.

Armand’s Answer

Hi Melanie,

I agree with previous responses as stores where to buy Textbooks. As a previous Amazon employee, I would recommend it, but others are also good and might have more second hand offering.

If still in search and for others looking for the best options, I would recommend using this website as for comparison: https://www.bookfinder.com/textbooks/

You can search by ISBN or title. It is an affiliate website, which will earn a fee if you shop from them, but they do the job of comparing among many stores for you to find the best price/availability.

Hope this is helpful