What are the major engineering job locations?

Asked Thousand Oaks, California

For those who are in the engineering work force, where do you all live? Do most engineers live in major cities, or more in the suburbs? I don't really want to live in a big city, but I am worried that that will hinder my choices at getting a job, at least a first job. Do any of you all live in the suburbs and commute to a major city to work, or vice versa? Specifically, I am looking into the space side of aerospace engineering, so if you have any answers specific to that field that would be great.

#engineering #aerospace #first-job

Peter’s Answer

Updated Kent, Washington

Hello, Christopher

It is quite common for engineers to live in the suburbs of a big city and commute to work each day. I did this for at least half of my 40+ year career as a civil engineer. Your specific location of your residence is amost never an issue with a prospective employer unless you have to relocate to take a new engineering job, and then often the employer will help with the moving expenses.

I live in the Seattle metropolitan area. Boeing is a very large employer in my area and is one of the biggest aerospace employers in the world. Less well known is Blue Origin, a space-bound company funded by Jeff Bezos (Amazon Head). That company is located in Kent, WA, a suburb located 25 miles south of Seattle. It is developing small and large rockets to deliver sattelites into earth orbit. Check it out.

Good Luck, Pete Sturtevant, PE

Sandy’s Answer

Updated Miami, Florida

Very good question! I have to refer you to the following site which provides a lot of information on a variety of fields: https://www.monster.com/career-advice/article/where-to-find-engineering-jobs

Here is a passage from this source "Hot spots for engineering jobs are where the defense contractors, high tech industries and aerospace congregate -- California, the Pacific Northwest, Texas, Arizona and around Washington, DC,” says Jim Turnquist, director of the career center at Michigan Technological University in Houghton, Michigan".

Lynette’s Answer

Updated Arlington, Virginia
I live in the Washington, DC area, and there are LOTS of companies with office buildings located in the surrounding suburbs, so you don't necessarily have to take a job in downtown, DC. Lockheed Martin is in Bethesda, MD (suburb of DC), for example. Plus, check out "Rocket City", Hunstville, AL, the #1 place for aerospace engineers, according to the Bureau of Labor Stats (BLS.gov) https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes172011.htm Good luck!