If I want to pursue a career as a mathematician, what is the best step to take after I graduate from college?

I am a high school senior who plans on majoring in mathematics in college because I want to be a mathematician. finance mathematics planning mathematician

6
Pros
4
0
Students
2
0

Katelyn’s Answer

Alexis,

I work with Florida State University's Career Center and we have a match major sheet that may be helpful.
http://www.career.fsu.edu/content/download/188007/1629582/Mathematics.pdf

It provides sample occupations and websites to explore for someone with a Mathematics major. I know they say occupations, but some of the settings might be interesting to look into for a part-time job or internship as well.

Hope that helps!

1
Pros
1
0

Gabriel’s Answer

Mathematician can work in many areas. You can first narrow down to the specific areas that you are interested in. For be a pure mathematician, one option is being a professor and focus on research and teaching. This will require higher level of education. If you want to bring your skillset to an industry, then you will need to see which industry interests you the most.
0

Peregrin’s Answer

Mathematics is used everywhere these days. Any time you hear the word AI that implies mathematical concepts. Similarly companies or organizations that develop financial, investment or scientific models will look for mathematicians who can add to those models. The question you need to ask yourself would be how do you want to use mathematics? Your step after college would depend on the answer to that question.
0