How do computer science majors differ?

I'm a High school student and will be looking at colleges soon. I am looking at colleges and they all have many majors about computer science that seem to be the same. #professor #technology #professional

2

Alec’s Answer

I attended the University of Waterloo in Canada where there is a similar situation. At Waterloo you can take Software Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Systems Design Engineering among some other majors.
All of these programs will teach you the skills necessary to become a professional programmer, but the courses you take in each one are different, so I encourage you to look at the courses you would take in each program and select the program with courses that interest you the most.
For example, I chose Computer Science because the course load was very math and theory focused - topics I am very interested in. However someone who is more interested in the inner workings and hardware of computers would likely enjoy Computer Engineering. Systems Design Engineering is more about creating a technological product and all the components that go into it. Software Engineering takes a bit of Computer Engineering and Computer Science so you have an idea of the engineering behind computers as well as the theory.

2

Hector’s Answer

Computer majors split in 2 big categories: Computer Science and Computer Information Systems.
Science deals with how to conceptualize built the machine, so it deals wit high tech algorithms and concepts that are abstract, while Info Systs deals wit how to make the machine work, the coding of programs, and the programming languages

0