What courses do you have to take to become an OT?

Asked Florence, Tuscany, Italy

I'm a junior in high school and I'm interested in what college courses I will need to take! #nurse #health #occupational-therapy #pediatric

Gary Stephen’s Answer

Updated Harlingen, Texas

Hi, My daughter is in her 5th year of college studying to be an OT now and my niece is an OT as well so I know about this career. Below is a good link for you with some basic information on the career and academic requirements. I would suggest talking to a college adviser and doing a lot of research into a career/education as an OT. My daughter for example got her Bachelors degree in a Science field/pre OT degree and now is in Graduate school for OT certification. It does require a lot of education, internships and licensing. Good luck!

http://explorehealthcareers.org/en/Career/6/Occupational_Therapist Occupational therapists (OTs) assist clients in performing activities of all types, ranging from using a computer to caring for daily needs such as dressing, cooking, eating, and driving. Services typically include: customized treatment programs to improve one's ability to perform daily activities; comprehensive home and job site evaluations with adaptation recommendations; adaptive equipment recommendations and usage training; and guidance to family members and caregivers. To meet an occupational therapist, see the NIH Lifeworks website. To learn more about this career, watch a video profile about occupational therapists (in the Health Science category).

Bailey’s Answer

Updated Santa Cruz, California

Hello Mekenzie, I love that you are interested in OT! I have gotten my bachelor's and I am almost complete with my Master's in OT and I am currently working with children and older adults. It is one of the best careers out there! ;). Some OT schools may have different prerequisites but I'm sure you will either need these or something very similar. To get into OT school I was required to take:

Psychology Abnormal Psychology Anatomy Physiology Art (Ceramics) Neuroanatomy Sociology (Social Issues) Statistics

Once I got into the OT program I took all of my really awesome OT classes. I hope this helps! Feel free to ask if you have any more questions.

Take care,

Bailey