How can I change my school system for the better?

Updated Chicago, Illinois

As I was Sitting in my biotech class listening to my teacher talking about central dogma, She said something interesting; she said "you should remember this from biology freshman year. Everyone in the class said the same thing,"no I don't remember this." I wondered, why don't any of us remember anything we learned from previous years? As I pondered how my classes are structured and what we do on a day to day basis, I concluded that our schooling system values memorization over mastery. We are told to know a general set of knowledge; then we are tested on it a few weeks later. This type of learning gives students no room to fully master or develop a passion for what they are learning so they forget it in a quick amount of time. #school #learning #education #entrepreneur #classes

professor daniel’s Answer

Students don't any of us remember anything we learned from previous years, due to the

METHOD of teaching. Words (lecture) without experiential involvement teaching is a Lose-Lose interaction. You hear it once and maybe make a note, and never practice the new knowledge.

Long term retention of this method is negligible.

It is comparable to giving a 5 year old only a Powerpoint presentation on learning to ride a bike. :-)