How do I know that the major I am in is the best for me?

I am currently a theatre major, but I have my associates in Criminal Justice. Everyone says that the arts are not the best programs to go into since they do not "contribute anything to you in the long run."
How do I know that getting this degree will not burn me in the end?
#collegemajor #theatre #lifechoices #undergraduate

Brittany’s Answer

This is how I view the arts: essential to humanity. The arts are so, so important. If you love theatre and thoroughly enjoy working on learning more it will not burn you out "in the end" (whatever the end means to you). It will only enrich your life. You said you already have your associates in Criminal Justice which is wonderful. Pursuing a degree in theatre will only add to your repertoire in the long run. As to your direct question, "How do I know that getting this degree will not burn me in the end?" Ultimately, you don't, but as long as you're proud of your pursuit you will not be burned.
Brittany - Thank you for your answer. We need more advice like this, now more than ever! There are more than 1k unanswered questions on CV right now. Hoping you'll answer a few more this week!

Jasanpreet Kaur’s Answer

Best way to find out what is good for you is, through research about the industries or try to get an internship in those areas in order to evaluate which field is good for you.

To give you a better insight about the industry which you have currently taken. Please check the link below:

https://finearts.utexas.edu/sites/files/cofa/theatre_career_guide_july_2015.pdf.

This will give you a clear insight about:

"what are the type of opportunities available in this field?". Also, "how can you groom in this field?"

Just to add on, following are the skills that are necessary to be successful in this area:

• Flexibility
  • Patience
  • Creativity
  • Talent
  • Determination
  • Good sense of humor
  • Thick-skinned, able to deal with rejection
  • Resourcefulness
  • Ability to network and make new connections

So start practicing on the above skills.

"It is not necessary that you have to follow the flow of the ocean. Have the courage to walk in a different direction if you have full faith and knowledge about it."

I was told the same thing growing up, that drawing will never amount to anything in the long run, and to give up on it. I ignored the criticism, and I am pursuing a Bachelor of Art in Interdisciplinary Studies with focuses on Graphic Design, Studio Art, and Philosophy. The most important thing is to do what makes you happy. Otherwise, you'll just end up with a job you hate.
Firstly, i would like to congratulate you that you have selected a field (Graphic Design) which is an emerging and most wanted field. Further, if you wish to take this to next level, i will suggest you to go for User Interface/User Experience (UI/UX). Read about this you will just love it. UI/UX Designers are mostly in demand all the time in Tech/Advertisement/gaming etc. Industries. Rest, you have answered yourself that one must go for that field in which that person find happiness. Just remember one thing the satisfaction which you will get from the job which you love to do is unbeatable. Even if you will get tired you will feel satisfied and happy. So keep going! Good Luck! #collegemajor #undergrade #career #careeroptions #happiness

Carolyn’s Answer

Hi Chelsea,

Great question, ultimately what I have found is your experiences are often what drive your ability to get a job. I have seen that majoring in the arts can lead to very successful careers especially when combined with a minor with more technical skills such as business or econ. I would recommend deciding what you hope to do after school and reach out to mentors to ask them what they would recommend to reach that goal. Often their responses will be internships or other experiences not directly tied to your major.

I hope this helps!

Carolyn