How can someone decide to go to a private or public college/university?

7

I know the major difference is tuition and fees, but what are some other advantages and disadvantages of both public and private universities/colleges. #college #school #professors #college-graduate #undergrad

7

Justina’s Answer

1

Hi Jacqueline!

My advice is to evaluate the school culture and see if it fits your personality. This is something you will likely practice for the rest of your professional life such that beginning with college is a great place to start. For example, one aspect that managers consider in hiring is how well they think someone fits in their corporate culture. If possible, visit the school, and if you cannot visit, then research the school (e.g., read their webpage, read what is published in the news regarding the college, etc). Its been my experience that the college does not determine how successful you will be in the workplace, but it might determine how much you enjoy the time you spend in college. Also, it was my experience that the more you enjoy college, the more likely you are to finish.

1

Gary’s Answer

1

Hi,
You have a good answer above, I also think that there are a lot of other factors...cost, location, what you want to study, etc.
Personally I would have gone to a public university if there was one where I went to college...my only option was a private university, now I do have a lot of student loan debt which I may not have had if I went to public college...just something to think about.

1

Peter’s Answer

0
Private School vs Public School advantages and disadvantages:

Fees: Public school has the advantage here. Public schools (sometimes depending on your area of residence) tend to be significantly less costly than private schools. However, with that in mind, private schools typically have more scholarships and/or financial aid opportunities.

Education: Private schools. Aside from smaller classroom sizes, private schools will boast more well-known professors, Nobel laureates, etc. However, the education gap isn't as significant as some will lead you to believe. Both private and public schools have esteemed academic programs with private schools and, ultimately, education is what you make it.

Network: Private schools. Although public schools have extensive alumni networks, private schools excel in this area. Alumni can help graduates find jobs, open doors, etc. Not saying public schools do not have programs that open similar opportunities, but alumni of top programs in business, law, healthcare, etc. (many of which are private schools) can act as very helpful resources.

Social: Public schools. Typically will find a much larger and more diverse group with respect to the student body.

These are sweeping generalizations that should not be applied to every program. Conduct school visits and do your own research (either online or with alumni) on specific school will help you immensely.
0

Ari’s Answer

0
I go to a private university and I would say that visiting a school has a large impact on the decision that you will make on where to go to school. Yes tuition is a big ticket item for where you should attend but I think the atmosphere should be an important aspect. If the school does not feel like home for you when you step on campus then it just isn't the right school for you. I had a feeling I would end up at the same university as my sister but it took me a while to realize that the school I am at was the perfect choice for me. You should look at the programs because the classes that you take are important. Most importantly the culture is something to look at. Where I go, there is this culture where students walking by a tour group always make an effort to say hello.
0