How can someone decide to go to a private or public college/university?

I know the major difference is tuition and fees, but what are some other advantages and disadvantages of both public and private universities/colleges. #college #school #professors #college-graduate #undergrad

Justina’s Answer

Hi Jacqueline!

My advice is to evaluate the school culture and see if it fits your personality. This is something you will likely practice for the rest of your professional life such that beginning with college is a great place to start. For example, one aspect that managers consider in hiring is how well they think someone fits in their corporate culture. If possible, visit the school, and if you cannot visit, then research the school (e.g., read their webpage, read what is published in the news regarding the college, etc). Its been my experience that the college does not determine how successful you will be in the workplace, but it might determine how much you enjoy the time you spend in college. Also, it was my experience that the more you enjoy college, the more likely you are to finish.

Gary Stephen’s Answer

Hi, You have a good answer above, I also think that there are a lot of other factors...cost, location, what you want to study, etc. Personally I would have gone to a public university if there was one where I went to college...my only option was a private university, now I do have a lot of student loan debt which I may not have had if I went to public college...just something to think about. Good luck!