How long after orientation will I start work?

Updated Albuquerque, New Mexico

I went to orientation on May 22nd for the local amusement park. It wasn't a one on one training. We went over the rules for 2 hours and then tried on our uniforms. After I showed my HR person that my uniform fit she said I could go home. It is now May 28th and she hasn't called. I still have my uniform and ID badge but haven't started work or any kind of other training at all! The HR told me that it was required to go to a 7 day probation orientation period were if we miss a day then we get fired. She never told me when I had to be back, no dates or times, not even a "see you tomorrow." I am really getting worried now! What should I do? I was on will call before if that helps. #human-resources #manager #hiring #employers #teenagers #emergency

Jared’s Answer

Updated Palo Alto, California

I agree with Gary. Give them a call. Just remember, if it's an amusement park, they want you to be personable and happy, so use your call to emphasize how enthusiastic you are to help out and sound your brightest. Smile on the phone as you talk - it will make you sound happier. It's ok to call back again the next day as well to see if they need any help. Show your enthusiasm to stand out from the crowd!

Thank you :)

Gary Stephen’s Answer

Updated Harlingen, Texas

Hi, I would ask your Supervisor, every business is different with orientation times. They may still have you in an on call status. Good luck with your new job! :)