How much extracurricular work is too much?

Asked Keller, Texas

Graduate classes + a (mandatory) internship + a job = Too much?
My graduate program requires me to work an internship. My financial situation requires me to work another job. But after the homework, the interning, and the work days -- will I miss out on school organizations, meetings, conferences, and lectures? How do I know that I'll have enough time for everything? How do I manage my time appropriately? I want to make a grad school network -- but what if I'm too busy doing everything outside of school? #extracurriculars #worried #internship #job #workstudy #organization #timemanagement

Amanda’s Answer

Updated Austin, Texas

Hi Kelly, I know many students are in a similar situation and it is extremely hard to do it all. I would definitely try to attend the graduate school functions. I think a huge part of graduate school is meeting a new, extremely educated, driven, diverse (the list goes on) network. I'm not sure of your age, but I recently read a book called, The Defining Decade - Why your twentysomethings matter, and there is a great chapter called The Power of Weak Ties. The whole book is amazing, but this chapter specifically focuses on why going to new events/ meetings are so important. Someone once gave me a piece of advice that even if you can attend for 20 - 30 minutes, you should GO. Set a goal for yourself before each event or meeting, so you can be productive in shorter amount of time - ex. I'll talk to three new people, then I'll let myself leave and feel really good about the event (can be less or more). I hope this helps. And good luck in your future endeavors!!

Rebecca’s Answer

Updated Round Rock, Texas

I think it all depends on your goals. Obviously, if you have to work to support yourself, that is going to be a priority as well as your studies. To obtain a good job out of college, it is important to spend time in an internship if you have no actual experience in the career choice that you plan on working in. Please be careful to not burn yourself out and take time for yourself or you will not be able to successfully navigate all that you have going on. You will need to see if school clubs are more important to you than internships, etc and prioritize your time without burning out.

Rebecca recommends the following next steps:

• Look at priorities to schedule time.