What should I focus more on, salary or enjoyment?

Asked Mayfield Heights, Ohio

I want to be at a job I enjoy doing that makes me happy, but will I be able to find that while also making the money that I need?
#help #job-search #search #money #happiness

Yvonne’s Answer

Updated Chicago, Illinois

Hi Mike,

This is an excellent question. I think it really boils down to how do you define happiness in your life. Everyone would always appreciate some extra money in their pocket. However, not everyone is satisfied with their current job. There are people who simply work so they could have a roof over their head and food on the table. But there are also people who work for career advancement and overall job satisfaction. It sounds like you want to get a job you love and work your way up to earning a lot. This is a great mindset to have. We spend so much time (one-third of our lives) at work. It would be miserable to be stuck in a job that you find little motivation to go to work every morning, and does not provide any meaning to your life overall. Personally, I feel like no amount of money could bring me happiness. I realized that my emotional health is just as important as my physical health. If you are ever in a situation where you have to choose between higher salary and enjoyment/happiness, I hope you are able to make a decision that matters the most to you.

Ashley’s Answer

Updated Alpharetta, Georgia

Follow your passion! You will be so much happier. I love what I do and I enjoy going to work. It makes such a difference doing what you love. Here is a great video of Simon Sinek on this very topic. Skip the ad and fasts forward to 50 seconds into the video. Good luck! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNiKmZ__yZY

Stephanie’s Answer

Find the job that you enjoy and then make it into the job that pays.

It’s easy to get started in a job to make money with every intention of leaving when you find the job you would enjoy but usually it’s too hard to cut that money back once you’re accustomed to it.

Figure out what you’re passionate about and find an employer that allows you to do it. Life is too short to spend 40(+) hours at a place you don’t love!