How do you make your resume more enticing if you don''t have a lot of experience in the field?

Asked San Jose, California

I'm a public relations student and I have no experience in the field of PR. How can I make my resume more attractive to hiring managers without the experience?

#publicrelations #resume #internships

Chris’s Answer

Updated Chicago, Illinois

Emily, I recommend you identify the skills a PR professional needs.  Then look at your experience and tailor your resume to accentuate those skills.  Communication.  Project management.  Leadership.  Whatever skills a PR professional needs will need to be reflected in your resume.

This skill could come in handy later in life.  At one point I found myself unemployed and needing to change industries.  I tailored my resume to show how my skill set transferred  to the new industry.   I'm sure you have accomplishments that a PR hiring manager will see

Chris recommends the following next steps:

• Identify skills that PR professional's have
  • Identify those skills in your prior experience. Tailor your resume to show those skills
  • When you have a resume know your story. Know how your prior experience translates to PR. Show confidence and how you can bring value to the organization