How can I better manage my time?

Asked Sikeston, Missouri

I am a full time mom, full time x-ray technologist and a full time student. What is a good way to manage my time so that I can give diligent attention to all my responsibilities? #time-management #momlife #healthcare #bachelorsdegree #ialsoneedgymtime

Rita’s Answer

Updated Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

First, realize this will be hard and give yourself a break. You are doing something that is great for yourself and therefore your family. A centralized calendar is essential to keeping everything organized so you can see the overlap and conflicts before they cause you stress. Try and use as many time-savings shortcuts you can find. Making larger portions of your meals and freezing them could be the help you need during the hectic weekdays. Don't be afraid to ask for help. It is neither a sign of weakness nor a failure. Sometimes knowing when to ask for help is the best course of action. Don't forget to take care of yourself. I refreshed you is a better you to handle all you have taken on.

Rita recommends the following next steps:

• Have a centralized calendar
  • Try to use as many time-savings shortcuts you can
  • Don't be afraid to as for help
  • Carve our time for each important aspect of your life and try to stick to reasonable time-frames
  • Don't forget about 'Me Time'

Jeanine’s Answer

Hi Sarah! I can understand how managing all of these things can be overwhelming. I would recommend using your smartphone to manage your time. My calendar is my lifeline most days. I also am in school, with a family, and a full time job. One thing that I learned is that if I don't get time for myself, I can't give 100 percent to anyone else. It is so easy to put yourself on the back burner, but it is so important to resist that urge. School starts soon for my kids, and I have already loaded their events from the school website into my calendar so I know when things are going on. I have a gym that is open super early/late so that I can get there either on my lunch or later at night once everything is calm in my home. I also use the "simple habit" app on my phone to have some meditation/relax time-even if its 5 minutes. I hope this helps you and good luck!

Sarah’s Answer

I am also a mother, full time worker, and avoid gym goer! It's hard to find time for everything. Something that works for me is sitting down and deciding what my priorities are for the day. I pick three big things and focus on those! One day, it's gym, work and family time. Another day, it's me time, family time, and gym time. Of course you have 800 other things to do, maybe one day you focus on your home task list, family time, and work. This way you may feel less overwhelmed and still get some progress in the areas you want. I have begun planning out my whole week in this way in advance. Hope this helps a little!