Which major is the most optimal for someone planning to go to med school?

7

I am considering being a PreMed major since I want to go to med school, but I know that PreMed might limit me if I were to not go to med school. What major is recommended for someone wanting to go to med school but who may need the flexibility to pursue a different career? #premed #doctor #medical-school #healthcare #medicine

Hi Evan! I think you might find some answers here: https://www.careervillage.org/questions/46066/whats-the-best-major-for-someone-who-wants-to-be-a-doctor-is-it-better-to-go-pre-med-or-does-it-matter Abby Lupi
7

Ted’s Answer

0
Going into college, I had declared a double major of math and chem, with a pre-med focus; I was too ambitious. Depending on the college, you should be able to declare premed with just about any major. Seeing as how the medical field is changing with technology constantly advancing, I highly recommend considering an engineering major. A challenge you might face taking that approach is that engineering programs might be a more demanding credit load than others, leaving you little time to take some of the required bio/chem courses. A slight tweak would be to pursue a biomedical engineering major with a focus in premed. That should have enough overlap that you're not stretching yourself too thin.
0

Yasemin’s Answer

0
Hi Evan! So you can be any major and go to medical school, there are some majors that make up the pool of applicants more than others. However, if you are doing a major that interests you and that you have passion for I wouldn't worry too much. The most important thing with medical school is taking the prerequisites and getting experience in the medical field. So shadow, volunteer in a clinical setting, research, and make sure the field is cut out for you. Definitely speak with a premed adviser as they can help guide you on this path and check out AAMC.org, there are many certified individuals giving advice on important topics for students. I was a psychology major and minored in chem, just because you aren't a traditional hard science major doesn't mean it won't count. Do what you love but keep on the premed path while obtaining experience to be a well rounded applicant!

Yasemin recommends the following next steps:

• Check out AAMC.org
  • Stay in contact with your premed adviser
0

0

Pick a major that interests you. You will need to get good grades in college in order to apply for medical school. At the medical school I attended, the average GPA is reported to be 3.85, so even one or two B's can hurt your chances of acceptance.

Aside from this, any major is acceptable as long as you complete the prerequisite courses.

Typical medical school prerequisites include:
Biology: Lecture – 4 semesters; Lab – 1 semester
General Chemistry: Lecture – 2 semesters; Lab – 1 semester
Organic Chemistry: Lecture – 2 semesters; Lab – 1 semester
Biochemistry: Lecture – 1 semester
General Physics: Lecture – 2 semesters; Lab – 1 semester
Math: Statistics – 1 semester
English: Rhetoric (Composition) and Literature – 2 semesters
0

Hwal’s Answer

0

Evan,

Basically, you can major in anything and be eligible to apply to medical schools, as long as you complete all prerequisites as other application requirements for the programs you apply to. I would say major in something you enjoy, because undergrad years can be a perfect time to explore, and it's no use if you don't enjoy your major.

Hwal

Hwal recommends the following next steps:

• Make a list of all the majors you would consider
  • Think about an make notes of what you think you'd enjoy in each of the majors and why
  • Look at the list and see which one you think you'd enjoy most!
0

Estelle’s Answer

0
Any major works as long as you get good grades. Try to find a major for which you have a passion. You need to have a high GPA and a high MCAT.
0

Mary’s Answer

0

Any, as long as you fulfill the requirements for the Med school and get excellent grades in your science courses. I was a psychology & biology major.

0