Which major is the most optimal for someone planning to go to med school?

Asked United States

I am considering being a PreMed major since I want to go to med school, but I know that PreMed might limit me if I were to not go to med school. What major is recommended for someone wanting to go to med school but who may need the flexibility to pursue a different career? #premed #doctor #medical-school #healthcare #medicine

Hwal’s Answer

Updated Roanoke, Virginia

Evan,

Basically, you can major in anything and be eligible to apply to medical schools, as long as you complete all prerequisites as other application requirements for the programs you apply to. I would say major in something you enjoy, because undergrad years can be a perfect time to explore, and it's no use if you don't enjoy your major.

Hwal

This professional recommends the following next steps:

Mary’s Answer

Any, as long as you fulfill the requirements for the Med school and get excellent grades in your science courses. I was a psychology & biology major.