What is the best way to avoid student loans?

7

Chelsea’s Answer

Hi Kendra,

I have a couple of recommendations for you - all involve some hard work, but hard work in this case can pay off!

I would recommend educating yourself of possible scholarships, grants, etc. that you may be eligible for. This might involve asking a university advisor, a highschool advisor, searching your desired univeristy's websites, or even searching the internet. I would recommend looking for scholarships that may relate to your desired degree as these might be the most relevant.

I would recommend considering whether or not maintaining a part-time job while attending school would be possible. For example, if you took one or two classes less a year (extending the time it takes to complete your degree by a year or two) then perhaps you could maintain a part-time job that would allow you to save while attending school. This is something I did. In the summers I worked full-time and took a couple of summer classes to stay on track with my degree. In the fall and winter I took a full course load and worked evenings and weekends. This was challenging, but I was able to earn enough income to be pay for my schooing by the next year.

I am not sure if either of these two recommendations are helpful to you, but I found them to be helpful for me when I was going through university.

5

Ann’s Answer

Hi Kendra,

Chelsea is spot on here! I would just add that you should also not max out your stipends. The smaller the stipend, the less loans you are borrowing. Many students will hit their loan limits by using stipends to pay for their housing or food. However, it costs way more in the long run then working part-time to come up with extra money. Work study programs are also beneficial, because you can earn grants by working on campus. Lastly, there are Vista programs or the Peace Corps. that will help pay your student loans, if you enlist for a period of time. Hope this helps!

1

Another great option that can help is to continue to live at your parent's home and attend the local community college. Many community colleges offer free or reduced tuition to local graduates provides a full scholarship that covers tuition, books, and fees for up to 60 credit hours – regardless of family income – for all graduates of local high schools with a GPA or 80 or above.

1

Sherie’s Answer

Hi Kendra;

There are few ways to do this. I myself is an example of making sure I did not have student loan debt when I graduated but did not have the option to live at home with my parents, so below are a few options.

1. The easiest is to live at home with your parents and work PT while going to school to be able to pay for tuition out of pocket.
2. Look into Financial aid as a way to cover your tuition or cover a portion and work PT so that you can cover any additional tuition or expenses.
3. My situation- I worked 2 jobs 1 during the week PT and 1 on the weekends and my school offered a payment plan so that I could pay in advance a monthly amount to cover each semester out of pocket and that enabled me to pay for my tuition without having student loans. Keep in mind I graduated from a city university and because I was a resident it drops the cost of your tuition in half.
4. Try to go to a city college, local university vs an ivy league or private college because the tuition is ridiculous. City and local colleague tuition is much lower and affordable and if you are a resident in that state your tuition is even cheaper.

0

Sherie’s Answer

Hi Kendra;

0