How do I know the major I picked is right for me, and what if it isn't? Is it costly/ hard to switch majors.

2
2

Yasemin’s Answer

0
Hi Amy, I agree with the previous answer! It isn't hard to switch majors as long as you do it on time, so when you begin junior year you cannot switch your major anymore. That being said you have about two years in college to really decide if you like the major you chose; many students change their major because in college you have more opportunity to explore and you take general education classes as well so they could expose you to different career choices you didn't know about! I don't think it is costly as long as you do it before junior year, after that it may be difficult because credit wise it may be hard to finish everything in time. Some majors require more credits than others so watch out for that! Knowing which major is right for you is about self-analysis, what you like and what you are passionate about. Also make sure to know the career choices down the road too and see if your major aligns with them. I was a psychology major with a chem minor, because I love psychology and the human brain fascinates me as I feel there are so many things undiscovered yet. I plan to become a physician and feel that being a psychology major and what I have learned will also help me keep an open perspective when treating my future patients. Do some research and take your time so you know what is best for you! Do what you love and love what you do!
0

Ria’s Answer

0

Hey Amy! This is a great question and one that current college students ask themselves all the time. Ultimately, your major should be something you are passionate about and one that can teach you transferable skills. By "transferable" I mean skills that you could use in different occupations whether that be research, public speaking/presenting, analyzing data, etc. Typically, universities do not make it hard to switch majors but you have to make sure that you can indeed graduate on time. This means that if you switch to a completely different major, that you can finish all the required courses in time. To answer your question more directly, it is not hard but can be costly if you don't plan ahead!

0