How long to become a pediatrician?

I want to get into the field of medicine. Is pediatrics a good field to get into and if so, whats the process like to become one? How many years would it take to become a fully qualified pediatrician. What other jobs would you recommend in medicine which are shorter courses?
#pediatrics #pediatrician #doctor

Sheila’s Answer

Updated Atlanta, Georgia

Hello Andrea:

Pediatricians are doctors who manage the health of your child, including physical, behavior, and mental health issues. They're trained to diagnose and treat childhood illnesses, from minor health problems to serious diseases. See link below to WebMD:

https://www.webmd.com/parenting/baby/pick-pediatrician-16/what-is-a-pediatrician

The journey to become a Pediatrician is a long one but, it is achievable. My son is currently a resident Pediatrician; so I am writing this comment according to his experience. Here are some key steps to consider:

1) Make high scores on the SAT & ACT exams

2) Select a college/university that offers at least "Biological Science" (you don't have to major in Pre-Med, Math, etc.)

3) Score well on the MCAT exam the "first time". Retake it if necessary

4) Apply to "all" the medical schools of interest

5) 4 years of Medical School

5 a) Find an Internship (paid or volunteer) over a summer

5 b) DO NOT limit yourself to where you would like to get residency Matched

6) 3 to 4 years of Residency (this comes after Medical School)

6 a) Fellowship is 3 to 4 years (this is where you Specialize in, which is after residency)

This is a long and expensive journey. I wish you the best on your path.

~ Sheila

This professional recommends the following next steps: