What courses do you have to take/recommend taking in high school and college to become a successful chemical engineer?

Updated Clarksville, Tennessee

As a rising junior I’m already taking 4 AP classes, including AP Chemistry, but I’m not sure if I should be taking AP Physics and AP Biology senior year to set up my path for becoming a chemical engineer. #chemicalengineer #highschoolcourses #ap #engineer #chemical-engineering #course-selection #engineering #classes #high-school

Sandy’s Answer

Updated Tampa, Florida

Chemical engineering college curriculums are heavy in math and sciences. It is great to have some experience with chemistry, physics, and biology before entering college. The specific requirements will vary by university, but in general, all programs will require chemistry (several semesters) and physics (at least 1 and maybe 2 semesters). Many programs have a biology or biological systems component, but this is not universally required. Check the program requirements (available on-line) at the top three schools that you are interested in attending.

Hopefully, you are working on your math skills, as well. Having some introduction to Calculus in high school is also beneficial.

Sandy recommends the following next steps:

• Check the program requirements (available on-line) at the top three schools that you are interested in attending.

Terry’s Answer

Updated Durham, North Carolina

You are already ahead of the game by taking four AP courses. I assume AP Math is also one of the courses you are already taking. If not, I encourage you to take AP Math. I would also add AP Physics as long as you think you are ready to handle the course load. AP Biology wouldn't hurt either, but it is not as important as the others to Chemical Engineering. However, also realize that you'll have time to cover these subjects in college, so don't worry too much if you decide to wait until you enter college. Best of luck.

Updated Mine Hill Township, New Jersey

Take as many math and science courses in high school as you can. Sounds like you're already on tvs right path with the AP courses. In college you will have a prescribed curriculum for your major