MBA or Keep looking for a job?
I recently just got accepted to an MBA program with a good scholarship and I don't know if I should take it. It also means moving across the world, back home with the program starting in 2 months and I don't know if I'm ready for a change like that in such a short time span.
The reason I'm doing an MBA is largely because I don't feel equipped at work and lack the business knowledge. I also want to start a business one day and I don't have the skills for that. I've also been job searching for the past year and I haven't had any luck with it. Mainly because I'm unsure about my direction.
Would you recommend pursuing an MBA?
17 answers
Kim’s Answer
I would strongly recommend working with the career placement office at your school on refining your resume (if you are not getting interviews) and interview skills (if you get interviews but no job offers). Also consider taking a position one step below what you feel you should be getting. It would let you acquire a working knowledge of the company and be better positioned to move up.
I wish you the best!
Lauren’s Answer
Omowunmi’s Answer
Speaking of the short time line, you can still make it with proper planning. I had major constraints during my own time as i had to switch schools within a very short time frame, got my travel documents late and had to travel within 2 days of receipt. Despite all that, the experience was profound and gave me the needed push in my career. I sustained this for a long time before seeking additional strong credentials. You've got this. Go get it....
Aparna’s Answer
Kevin’s Answer
Sherry’s Answer
It sounds like you might already have a sense of what you want to do. You mentioned feeling unsure, and that's important to consider.
I believe your instincts are spot on. An MBA can be more valuable after gaining a few years of work experience. Right now, you're still exploring your path, which is perfectly fine. People who gain the most from an MBA often have a clear goal in mind. Taking some time to figure that out could make your degree even more rewarding and enjoyable. Jumping into an MBA now might just postpone the "what do I really want to do" question.
What are your thoughts?
Jean Noel’s Answer
To evaluate this clearly, let's look at the three major drivers behind your decision: Career Readiness & Direction, Timing & Transitions, and The Job Market.
1. Evaluating Your Key Drivers
A. Business Knowledge & Entrepreneurial Goals
• The Pitch: An MBA provides structured exposure to accounting, finance, strategy, and operations—foundational skills for launching or managing a business.
• The Reality: While an MBA teaches business mechanics, it does not guarantee entrepreneurial success. Practical experience, trial-and-error, and self-study (e.g., books, online courses, incubator programs) can teach similar fundamentals without the opportunity cost of two years out of the workforce.
B. The Job Search & Unclear Direction
• The Pitch: An MBA buys you 1–2 years to pause, reflect, build a global network, and pivot your career track with career services support.
• The Reality: An MBA will not solve an unclear direction by itself. If you enter business school without a targeted industry or role, you risk graduating with the same uncertainty—just with a specialized degree.
C. Timing, Readiness & Moving Across the World
• The Challenge: Moving internationally and starting a full-time academic program within 8 weeks is a massive logistical and psychological shift.
• The Risk: Making a multi-year life pivot primarily out of frustration with a tough job market can lead to burnout or regret if you feel rushed into it.
2. Comparing Your Strategic Paths
Criteria Option 1: Take the MBA Now Option 2: Defer MBA & Keep Job Searching
Immediate Benefit Breakers job search fatigue; provides structure, network, and brand. Gives you time to clarify career goals before making a massive move.
Financial / Scholarship Risk High value if scholarship is locked, but incurs tuition + living expenses + lost salary. Low financial risk; keeps options open while earning potential income.
Relocation Pressure High — requires international move and major life transition in < 60 days. Low — stay in current setup while targeting local or remote roles.
Career Pivot Success High potential if you target a specific post-MBA industry from Day 1. Dependent on narrowing down target roles and targeted networking.
3. Recommended Action Plan
1. Request a 1-Year Deferral immediately
o Contact the MBA admissions office and ask if you can defer your entry and scholarship to next year due to the short notice for an international move. Most programs accommodate reasonable deferral requests.
o Outcome: This removes the pressure of moving in 2 months while securing your scholarship as a backup option.
2. Run a 30-Day "Direction Assessment"
o Before committing to business school, spend one month defining 2–3 target roles (e.g., Product Management, Strategy, Marketing, Operations) or business concepts you want to build.
o Conduct 3–5 informational interviews with people working in those roles or running similar businesses to test if an MBA is actually required to get there.
3. Fill the Knowledge Gap Independently First
o If lack of business literacy is holding you back in interviews, take targeted short courses (e.g., Financial Accounting, Business Strategy on Coursera/edX) or read core business literature (e.g., The Personal MBA by Josh Kaufman).
o Test whether self-learning gives you the confidence you need at a fraction of the cost and time commitment.
Which aspect of the decision feels like the biggest obstacle right now—the fear of moving so quickly, or the uncertainty about what career direction you actually want to take?
Sara’s Answer
Michele’s Answer
Michael’s Answer
It's normal to feel unprepared or overwhelmed when starting a new job. You'll learn as you go, and that's part of the process. Finding mentors and colleagues to talk to can make you feel more at ease. Your company might have training materials, and there are online courses to help you understand your tasks or improve your skills for future opportunities.
Congratulations on getting into the MBA program and receiving a scholarship! I enjoyed my MBA experience, but it's important to consider if this is the right time and program for you. Think about the points above before committing. You might be able to defer admission for a year, and there are other MBA options, including local and part-time programs, that might fit your needs better.
You're ambitious and asking the right questions. The answers will become clearer as you take things step by step.
Wong’s Answer
At the same time, I do not think you should choose an MBA only because you are feeling lost or having difficulty finding a job. An MBA is a big commitment, and it is important to understand what you hope to gain from it.
If the program is reputable, the scholarship reduces the financial burden, and you are willing to embrace the change, I would seriously consider taking the opportunity. Feeling nervous is normal. Sometimes growth comes from stepping outside your comfort zone and trying something new.
Jaye’s Answer
Because every situation is different, I would encourage you to
a) Review the employment report for that past ~3 years for your MBA program. Are most graduates accepting offers within 3-months of graduation? Are recent alumni working in jobs you want (industry, function, geography)? Are they earning what you would expect to earn out of an MBA? --- If the answers to these questions are all YES, then the program may be a great fit. If not or if unknown, the MBA, unless truly a full-ride scholarship is probably not worth it.
b) Consult your career development services at your university.
c) Reflect on what you want to do and what you need to do to achieve it. The MBA goes by faster than undergrad so you will likely not be able to explore as much. There may be another masters program that is more relevant to your needs. Some professors may also have insight.
Caroline’s Answer
Vinayak’s Answer
Swati’s Answer
Brad’s Answer
As for your MBA decision, remember that it's a personal choice. A lot of the value from an MBA comes from the connections you make with alumni, the school's links to the industries you're interested in, and the strength of your classmates. Consider these factors before choosing a program.
Good luck, and I'm confident you'll make a great decision!