Skip to main content
4 answers
6
Asked 420 views

If I were to go into the military first how many years would be recommended before going into being a flight attendant ?

I want to go into the military to be an 91a M1 Abrams Tank System Maintainer. I will be 17 when I graduate in 2028 turning 18 that summer.


6

4 answers


1
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Katlynne’s Answer

Great question, Alyssa! The choice is yours. I know someone who switched from the military to being a commercial flight attendant in his mid-thirties. There's no age limit, so you can pursue this path after your service, regardless of the contract length you choose.

To help with your decision, think about what you want to gain from your military experience. The first year of any military occupation is mostly training, and the last six months to a year focuses on transitioning back to civilian life. The time in between offers the most opportunities. This can guide you in choosing the right contract length for your goals.

Wishing you the best in your future!
1
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Ryan’s Answer

Hello Alyssa. I'll echo what others have said, make sure you check if there is a minimum age for flight attendants. My RA in college became a flight attendant for a few years after graduation, and one of the volunteer firefighters I work with now currently works as one. Both have shared with me that it was more difficult to get hired than they expected, and the training was more intense than they thought. Airlines definitely look for people with life experience, that can deal with difficult people, provide great customer service, and respond with calm leadership in high stress emergency situations. So, getting hired at 21 or 22 years old may be challenging.

As for the military, nothing wrong with doing a single tour and then separating - thats what I did. Katlynne is absolutely right - you should have a goal(s) of what you want to accomplish while you're in. There are some tremendous leadership trainings and leadership opportunities that can come shortly after your first reenlistment. Plus, if you want to take advantage of tuition assistance to earn a degree, that might take more than one enlistment. So, I'd probably suggest 6-10 years before making the switch, but that's certainly not required.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Joy’s Answer

Depends on the age to be a flight attendant. I suggest 21.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Robert’s Answer

Hi, i believe you want to become a flight attendant for a commercial carrier in the US or other country. If so basically you would need to signup for at least a 4year duty enlistment unless you are offered a signing bonus for a longer term. If you want to follow this path i would also check the hiring age for whatever airlines you are interested in since you would be 22 after a 4 year enlistment. Hope this helps.
0