Skip to main content
7 answers
8
Asked 1205 views

What do I do if I want to pursue law school after my master's degree and CPA licensure but I've been given a full-time offer to go back to an accounting firm I had been interning for?

I am a sophomore in college and I'm currently navigating the internship world for accounting. I'm starting the game a little early, but I want to go ahead and get my foot in the door. My plan is to pursue an MSA and obtain my CPA license, but I also want to attend law school to become an Attorney-CPA. I've been second guessing my goals now because if an accounting firm offers me a full-time position I feel as though I should take it because they may not wait around for me.


8

7 answers


2
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Michael’s Answer

Lorelai,

Here's some general advice: don't make choices out of fear. Taking a job just because you're scared it won't be available later isn't usually the best move. Now, about your specific question, here's what you might think about:

Finish your undergraduate degree and keep doing accounting internships. Apply to a graduate program that offers a joint degree, like a Juris Doctor and a Master of Science in Accounting. These programs often don't take much longer than a regular JD program. Plus, they can help you prepare for the Certified Public Accounting exams, depending on the state where you want to work.

Hope this helps a bit. You'll do great!

Michael
Thank you comment icon Thanks for your encouragement! Lorelai
2
1
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Brad’s Answer

Hi Lorelai,

Your ambitions are fantastic, and that's something to be proud of. Don't worry about anyone not waiting for you. If you have the drive and determination, go for both. You'll have an amazing career no matter what, so don't be afraid to chase your dreams. Congratulations!
Thank you comment icon Thank you! Lorelai
1
1
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Harry’s Answer

Hi Lorelai,

You can test your direction by asking one question. I tell/ask this of a lot of young people.

As you go through life, it is guaranteed that you will build up a list of "regrets". You will have small regrets like not going out with friends because you feel that you needed to study; medium regrets like "I wish I had bought that great leather attache case when I was on my trip in Canada" and large regrets, "I wish I had told my grade school teacher how helpful they were to me before he/she passed away."

Will you have regrets if you take that internship and, 5-8 years later, don't make it back to get your JD?

If the answer is yes, you have decided what to do. If it is no, you also have decided what to do.

Follow your "No Regret" feelings, Lorelai.

Harry
Thank you comment icon This was extremely helpful and made me feel a lot better. Thank you, Harry! Lorelai
1
1
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

DENNIS A’s Answer

Hi Lorelai: You should have no problem. The closest law school to you is Cambell if you stay in NC. However, they are flexible. If you get a CPA job you can taylor things around your hours. I went to law school full time, worked 30 hours a week and finished in 2 1/2 years. If I can do it so can you!

Good luck!
Thank you comment icon Thank you so much, Dennis! Lorelai
1
1
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Michael’s Answer

Hi Lorelai,

Congratulations! This is a great situation to be in. Both choices are beneficial. If you get a full-time offer from a Big 4 firm, think about whether you'd like to take a break from school to gain real-world experience for two years while completing your certification, or if you're more eager to finish law school first. Passing the bar and CPA exam will make you highly employable, allowing you to join a law or CPA firm after graduation.

Mike
Thank you comment icon Thank you! Lorelai
1
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Ahmad’s Answer

I would recommend taking the full-time accounting position and focusing on one additional goal at a time. First, gain practical experience while completing a Master’s in Accounting with a specialization, such as taxation, that fulfills the educational credit requirements for the CPA exam. After earning your master’s degree, focus on passing the CPA exam and completing the experience requirements for licensure. Once you have established yourself as a CPA, you can pursue law school and select a legal specialty based on the work experience and professional interests you have developed by that point. For example, experience in taxation, business transactions, compliance, or forensic accounting could help guide you toward a related area of law. Following this sequence allows you to take advantage of the job offer, build a strong professional foundation, and approach law school with a clearer understanding of how you want to use both qualifications.
Thank you comment icon I appreciate your support, Ahmad Lorelai
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Kelly’s Answer

Hi Lorelai,

I wish someone had told me when I was younger that you don't need to have everything figured out in college. I interned at a Big 4, got my CPA, and eventually left public accounting. Don't worry about turning down the full-time offer if your heart is set on law school.

Both choices are amazing, so trust your instincts!
Thank you comment icon This was super helpful, thank you! Lorelai
0