Mechanical Engineering Master's or Master's degree in Orthotics and Prosthetics?
I'm currently a Biomedical Engineering undergrad planning to work in the field of prosthetics. I've heard the BME job market isn't the best right now, so I was planning on doing an accelerated program with my university that would allow me to graduate with my mechanical engineering master's in the same 4 years as my BME bachelor degree. I thought this was a good idea to get more prosthetic knowledge overall and make my resume more competitive. I recently found out that if I want to work with patients and design prosthetics, I would need a specific master's degree in Orthotics and Prosthetics. This degree isn't offered at my university or many universities in general. I would have to spend 2 years pursuing this degree plus a 12-18 month residency. I'm questioning doing this because I don't want to spend the time doing this degree and boxing myself in. If I do the Master's degree in Orthotics and Prosthetics instead of mechanical engineering, I don't think I would have as much room to pivot fields if I decide to. I believe I can still create prosthetics with a BME or mechanical degree, but I just won't get to work directly with patients.