How long would it take for me to become an Orthodontist, and where to I begin?

Asked San Antonio, Texas

My name is Athalia, and i have just began my 10th grade year. In school, I am very interested in science/biology. My hobbies are softball, writing and reading. A topic that I'm passionate about is science/biology because it has to d o with the study of human life. I hope to become an Orthodontist, but am not sure where to start or what to prepare for. #science #biology #medical-school #medicine #doctor #orthodontist #teeth

Sheena’s Answer

<span style="color: rgb(85, 85, 85);">In order to become an orthodontist you must complete four years of dental school. Starting in High School if you have the ability to take anatomy and physiology would be great progressing in college to microbiology, as well as classes that apply more specifically to orthodontics, such as dental anatomy and occlusion, pediatric dentistry and dental materials. DON'T be a afraid to ask for job shading opportunities from colleges that offer dental programs or even local dental offices as well. It would allow you to gain first hand knowledge of what goes on in the office setting .</span>

This professional recommends the following next steps: