What is the everyday job like for an aerospace engineer

Asked Kenosha, Wisconsin

What do aerospace engineers regularly do, and how does my aerospace engineering bachelor's degree apply to that? Does it apply directly?
#aerospace #aerospace-engineering #engineering #mechanical #aeronautics #aeronautics #aeronautics #aeronautics #aeronautics #aeronautics #aeronautics #aeronautics #aeronautics #aeronautics

Marcia’s Answer

Updated Nagoya, Aichi Prefecture, Japan

Hi Shaheer,

For most of the aerospace engineers I know, including myself, the days are usually spent at a computer or discussing subjects with co-workers or suppliers. We read the regulations to design within safe limits. We read technical information about materials and components. Some do research and spend time in different kinds of labs. You could be a flight test engineer and be on test aircraft gathering data.

Something that is not generally explained is that you can start as any kind of engineer since all aviation programs include structural, electrical, mechanical, computer, ergonomics and other kinds of engineers.

You can also enter the aviation field as a mechanic. There are two year programs where you learn and work directly on aircraft and you can get what is called an Airframe and Powerplant License (A&P). If you go from that to aerospace engineering you will understand many aspects of design much better.

Best wishes on reaching your goals.

Marcia