How could i pursue a career in Health care Administration? (Senior in high school)

9

Dr. Kristy Taylor,’s Answer

You can major in Healthcare Administration while in college, but I highly recommend getting some experience with hands-on patient care as well. Another option, if you do not like hands-on patient is to attend a school which will allow you to sent for the RHIA certification. You will be able to qualify for multiple positions and have the necessary baseline knowledge to lead in all aspects of administration. Additionally, you should do volunteer work or work part time in healthcare facility to build your resume while in school.

I have taught students who first pursue a an associates in Health Information Technology to allow them to sit for the RHIT certification, prior to prior to complete a B.S. in Healthcare Administration. They do this to have marketable skills and broad knowledge of healthcare administration and oversight. The RHIT/RHIA certifications are not required, but you will definitely be more marketable if you are knowledgeable of basic information such as coding, billing, EMR, office administration, HR, etc.

http://www.css.edu/the-sentinel-blog/rhit-vs-rhia-which-credential-is-right-for-your-health-information-career-goals.html

Thank you for your help! Janina A.

0

Nancy’s Answer

Hi, Janina,

There are two tracks: become a health professional first, such as a nurse or technician in a medical service like radiology, for example, and then do graduate study in hospital and healthcare administration. The second is to start out in a business major or healthcare administration associate’s or bachelor’s program with special coursework in healthcare along the way.

Nancy recommends the following next steps:

Go to www.HealthcareAdministrationEDU.org for information on education in this field

Very nice answer Nancy! Sunitha Blossom Undinty

Thank you! Janina A.

0

Sunitha Blossom’s Answer

Healthcare Administration is a great field to be in. I have myself done my Masters degree in Healthcare Administration and began my career as a Hospital Management/Administrative professional. You definitely can consider formal education as an option. Sometimes getting the right experience matters the most. If you are already working in a clinic or a hospital that delivers healthcare, consider learning and understanding the Business flows /care pathways, this will help a great deal when you go in for a formal education. If you aren't working consider internship/Volunteering opportunities in small health care offices/clinics, this will build a strong foundation on the health/patient work flows, and later when you take a formal education, you can relate to a lot of what you have learnt from your experience! Wishing you the very best! Hope this helps.

Thank you! Janina A.

0

Tia’s Answer

Hi Janina, in addition to Nancy's advice I'd also like to share that I have book that may be of interest - https://amzn.to/2Clo78D. I emphasize the value in volunteering before getting into a formal education program for healthcare administration.

0

Reshma’s Answer

Hello Janina,

I recommend looking up universities that have a CAHME-accredited program for healthcare administration. I would also find an opportunity to work with a professional currently in the field whether through a volunteer work/shadowing or an internship. Hands on experience will allow you to learn more about the profession and also give you an opportunity to network with professionals in the field

Reshma recommends the following next steps:

Research CAHME-accredited programs online

0

K’s Answer

Consider a career in pharmacy!! it would pair really nicely with health care administration and is very versatile !

0