Skip to main content
3 answers
Asked 1751 views

whats the highest degree or certification to become a preschool teacher?

i grew up helping taking care of kids , and i play school sometimes with my younger siblings and enjoy being there kinder teacher so now that i'm older in want to become one . #children #working-with-children

+25 Karma if successful
From: You
To: Friend
Subject: Career question for you


3 answers

Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Daniela’s Answer

Hi Valerie,

Education requirements to become a preschool teacher vary. Public schools require at least a bachelor's degree; while an associate's degree or high school diploma is acceptable for some child care centers. In many cases, preschool teachers start out as assistant teachers. With this experience, they may advance to being teachers and eventually to lead teacher status. A preschool teacher needs to be proficient in helping children learn how to cooperate, providing fun learning activities suitable for preschoolers, keeping children safe, working as a team member with other teachers and interacting with parents.

Preschool teachers need to be eager participants in children's growth and development, as well as helping students understand how to use their natural curiosity to help make the appropriate developmental leaps in their skills and abilities. They are expected to create an atmosphere where risks can be taken and discoveries made while children remain safe. Most preschool teachers are required to earn certification in first aid procedures and infant and child CPR. They also need to undergo police background checks, as well as be fingerprinted.

Coursework in a preschool teacher degree program may include:

  • Child development

  • Classroom management and behavior

  • Curriculum methods

  • Instructional design

  • Instructional resources and technology

  • Parent-child relations


Ranking The Top 10 Online Schools for a Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood Education

  • Kendall College: Program Overview: Kendall College’s online Bachelor’s of Science in Early Childhood Education Degree program consists of 180 credit hours of study. Five specialization areas are offered for this online degree program, and they comprise: Childhood Nutrition, English as a Second Language, Infants and Toddlers, Small Business Management, and Special Education.

  • Grand Canyon University: Program Overview: Grand Canyon University offers an online Bachelor’s of Science in Early Childhood Education Degree program that entails 120 credit hours of study. Course components of this online degree program include: Child Psychology, Early Literacy Development, and Educating the Exceptional Learner.

  • Post University: Program Overview: This university offers an online Bachelor’s of Science in Child Studies Degree program that consists of 120 credit hours of study in courses such as: Educational Psychology, Emergent Literacy, and Creative Activities.

The complete list with the top 10 schools, you can see in:

All the Best!!!

Thank you comment icon I agree with Daniela above, and I encourage you to think long-term as you invest in your education so you don't limit yourself. e.g. if you just get an Associate's degree, you'll get a job teaching, but it will be harder to advance into leadership of a center or school because others will have Bachelor's degrees. Also look for companies that help pay for your education with tuition reimbursement - they want highly qualified staff, and they're willing to help you foot the bill while working for them. Just read the fine print - most require you to work for them for a certain period after reimbursement, otherwise you then owe them the money back. Michele Wilkens, Ed.D
Thank you comment icon THANK U @!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Garrett
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Rachel’s Answer

It really depends what type of teacher you would like to be. However the main pathways are generally the same and the options vary but go along the same lines.

  1. You need to graduate high school.
  2. You need to attend a college/university and earn a four- year B.A. degree. You will want to get a bachelors degree in the subject-matter that you want to teach, this makes certification in your state and subject-area feasible. You may opt to minor or double-major in education. You do not need to have a bachelors in education to be a teacher. I would suggest getting a bachelors degree in the subject you would like to teach. (for example: I am an English teacher, I majored in English literature and now have a bachelors in English).
  3. Once you graduate college with your bachelors degree you have a few options:

A. Go directly to Graduate school and obtain your masters in the area of teaching/education you want to teach (ie. Masters of Education, Masters of Teaching, Masters of Secondary English, Masters of Teaching in Secondary English, Masters of Teaching in Elementary, Masters of Special Education etc.). You may also opt to get a masters degree in the subject-are you wish to teach. However, while in graduate school you must obtain a masters degree in some variation of teaching/education. So you will have either a MAT (Masters of Teaching) or MED (Masters of Education). Most graduate schools have one of the two programs and offer a variation depending on the subject (ie. Masters of Teaching in Secondary English or Masters of Education in Secondary English). This option is ussually a fifth year pathway that allows you to student teach at a school while earning your masters degree.

B. You can apply to an Alternative Route to Certification (if you state has options/offers this). This would look like a program like TeachForAmerica, AmeriCorps TutorCorps, or other Teacher Residency Programs (ie. KIPP Teaching Fellows, MATCH Schools, or charter schools that offer Teacher Resident positions. Look up the options in your state or the options available if state is not a boundary for you. During the year or two-year commitment of these programs you would typically also have classes or being earning a masters degree. This option is for teachers who want to start working directly after they graduate college. Some programs lead to Certification in your state and others lead to BOTH Certification and a Masters Degree. The ARC programs lead to 90 day certifications, which then lead to Initial Educator Certification OR Resident Teacher Certification (ALL are pathways to FULL certification in your state).

  1. Regardless of which route you take you will need to take the certification exams in your state. MOST states, including CT (which is the information I know because it is my state) require the PRAXIS exams. You will need to research certification requirements within your own state for more information. However, while you are earning your masters (or after you have earned your bachelors) you will want to also prepare for and take the PRAXIS Core (which can be waived if your SAT/ACT scores are high enough) and the PRAXIS II which cannot be waived and MUST be passed for certification.
  2. Once you have obtained your Bachelors degree AND Masters degree AND Passed your state certification exams AND done some form of students teaching (whether that is during college or in a residency program) you can then:
  3. Go to your state board of education website and complete your certification information.
  4. Then, you can APPLY as a LEAD teacher in the area you are certified.

MOST pathways take 4-6 years. You will be able to start your first year of teaching as a lead teacher generally in year 5 or 6.

This professional recommends the following next steps:

  • Earn a bachelors degree in the subject area you would like to teach in AND or a bachelors in Education.
  • Decide if you want to do a teaching Residency program like Teach For America or if you would like to go straight to graduate school to earn your masters degree.
  • Apply to Graduate schools and Teaching Residency programs. During your senior year of college.
  • Begin your first year of grad school or teaching residency.
  • Earn your Masters degree in Education or Teaching, in the area you would like to teach in.

Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Margaret’s Answer

You can get a certificate in Early Childhood Education which takes about a year to earn or a two year Associates Degree. Both credentials will prepare you for entry-level positions in Early Childhood Education as a teacher or assistant teacher.

Thank you comment icon thank u !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Garrett