Naysa B.’s Avatar

Naysa B.

266

5

If I want to pursue social media management as a career how can I achieve this?

So I received my General Studies Associates in May and I am looking to go attain my Bachelors degree but I need more clarity on what to do. I definitely want to study cinematography, photography and digital media marketing. I need some clarification concerning Digital media marketing. Since the Digital Media Marketing space changes so frequently, is it even a good idea to get a degree that deals with that or should I just get a certification from a good college?

Since Digital media marketing is really a new field most colleges do not have that as a major, so if I do focus on this I need to know what broader degree to study, like Marketing, Communications, Public Relations? I am not sure what to choose; with a marketing I don't think my education will be solely focus on the digital media aspect. So is it worth it get a degree or should I just wrack up a lot of experience for a portfolio to present?

My goal would be to become a social media manager and learn as much as I can, and then launch out and become a freelance social media manager and content creator. Using my skills in film to help create content online. #marketing #business #college #advertising #entrepreneur #college

Hello Naysa

What a great thing to take interest in! Social media is a major part in society today and more and more businesses are starting to promote themselves through social media.

My best friend left her full time job and moved to LA over 2 years ago and has not looked back since. She started off creating her content and publishing it on instagram. Fast forward to today she has attended many red carpet events, starred in a mini series called Starter Pack and worked with some amazing well known talent. The opportunities are endless and you will do amazing things in this field. My best friend writes her own scripts, edits and films everything by herself as well.

I say in school major in anything business such as marketing or management because at the end of the day your social media page and your name will eventually become a brand and nothing is more important than learning how to market yourself and remaining relevant and innovative. The best part of it all it costs nothing to start on social media and you can start building your brand today. Focus on what you would like to represent and be known for! Whether it be short comedy skits, cooking recipes, fitness or a fashion model your page is your business and will open sooooo many doors for you!

Good Luck to you!

This professional recommends the following next steps:

Last updated Nov 29 at 12:51 AM

So I would focus on those classes that get you the skills to do this. Such as video production, web design, etc. For your BA major think strategically long term. Where do you see yourself 20 years from now? Way past the entry level job? At an agency? Running your own agency? Doing something creative? There are a lot niches in advertising world from account management, to finance, producing, planning, creative, etc. Use your college education to become the person who sees the bigger picture and can manage all aspects from account management, strategy, analysis of data and trends, the design and execution of creative, including where it is placed. This is the longterm goal.

To answer your question about social media. One of the best guys out there doing it now with his own large agency is Gary Vaynerchuk. He says all the time social media is always changing and he always looking at which platform is gathering an audience and the attention of people. Because it is always changing I would say go intern and hopefully work for people like him. Work on finding the niche that you enjoy and become the best at it.

Another idea is to find small businesses and nonprofits that need social media management to cut tour teeth and learn on. This you could do while studying.

Also watch that college debt. Saleries starting out and mid level may not be so great.

I think most large companies will want a realated degree as a standard, but really not sure it matters over span of a career in this field what it is. If you can come to the table starting out with practical experience growing sales in social media space, that’s what they want. Business people I deal with want me to bring them customers.

Last updated Dec 07 at 02:53 AM

Hi Naysa,

Congratulations on receiving your associates, that is a great accomplishment! When considering becoming a social media manager, it can be useful to have a degree, however having a portfolio can be important as well. Social media is a relatively new career path, however it has a lot of opportunities. With that being said, there are colleges and degrees that are marketing based, with a focus on social media specifically. The courses within these programs review information related to classic marketing, and then how to translate that into social media. I would recommend to explore degrees in the marketing field, and read over the course descriptions to get a good understanding of what goes on within them. I would also recommend for you to utilize social media, and focus on growing your "following". This will be beneficial when it comes time to present a new idea, company, etc to others, and you can observe the impact of your work.

Last updated Dec 03 at 05:20 PM