Internship is a great opportunity to get a foot in the door and show-case and demonstrate your skills. For organizations interns are valuable, as they can see the behavioral skills in action on the job. A software engineer role requires both technical aptitude as well as team collaboration. Typically post your internship the hiring manager will sit down with the team you worked with and go over the following
1) Software development - Typically measured through your coding aptitude, how fast were you learning, how were you able to cope with complex concepts.
2) Communication - How effectively can you communicate your thoughts & ideas both in writing as well as verbal.
3) Collaboration - Did you demonstrate working well with others in the team? Did you show-case a successful partnership with others in the team. Did you express your opinions and listened effectively to others.
4) Culture Fit - Did you socialize and gel well with the team.
Shafeeque recommends the following next steps:
- My advice would be to focus on learning the technology relevant to the team you are interning at. Understand the product space. Participate actively in team discussions. Demonstrate that you are passionate about the space the team is working on. Go for lunches with your team and develop bonding with other people around in the team. At regular intervals sit down with the hiring manager and look for their feedback & guidance.