Taylornlynch2 .

77

1

What is the best major for me to pursue in college if I want to be an event planner?

I want to be an event producer, however there are very few schools who offer that major. Event planning is a major, however it most likely won't provide me with the best degree in order to be flexible in my job choice after college. Therefore, I was wondering what would be the next best thing for me to major in that would teach me multiple skills that I can utilize for an event planning career. People have told me business, public relations, and even marketing. How do I know which one to choose and which is right for me and my dream? #business #marketing #public-relations #event-planning

I agree with Gary in saying that event planning isn't something that you you can major in and boom you're a planner. I have been in the event planning business/hospitality industry and professional for the past 8 years and and feel that I am still learning something new in my industry every day. It is definitely great to have a PR or Marketing background to learn the basics but it is through experience of getting out there and getting involved with the daily grind in life that will make you successful. As for me, I was a studio arts major with a minor in computer science...you would wonder how that background would help me get to where I am today but through patience and perseverance I am enjoying what I do!

When I first started off in event planning, I didn't know what I was doing nor did I know that I wanted to get into it. I just started in clubs/organizations at my school and slowly helped plan whatever was needed in doing bake sales, fundraisers, organizing student council meetings, working in my sorority with their events...the list goes on. Little by little I would take on more responsibility and was in charge of more events as time went on. Just like anything you choose to do in life, be open to new ideas and have fun doing it!

Last updated Sep 20 '17 at 16:42

1 comment

Just curious. What is it about the event planning profession that attracts you? I know a bunch of wedding and corporate event planners, and I could possibly put you in touch.

Last updated Nov 24 '12 at 13:23

I guess you could say I'm an event junkie. I love being in the middle of the planning, knowing how to create all the moving parts and executing it when the actual event happens. It's such a rush to be there...telling people what to do, putting out the fires...it's a great feeling especially when the event is over and you know that you've put on something that was so successful. There's a beginning, middle and end to what I do and that gives me total satisfaction.

Last updated Nov 25 '12 at 19:23

Large cities have lots of event planning firms, who arrange everything from weddings to fundraising galas to corporate events. Many large not for profit organizations organize fundraising galas and have event planners on their staff (such as large museums).

Another avenue: large hotels in major cities have staff who's responsibiity is to attract, arrange and oversee events from clients such as couples wanting to get married, bar and bat mitzvahs, corporate holiday parties, etc. Contact large hotel chains, such as the Hilton chain and do an informational interview with someone who heads the department for these special events to learn more about what they do.

Last updated Feb 13 '13 at 20:22

I periodically run events, although it isn't my primary profession. I'll say that event planning is a pretty specialized skill, and isn't something that you often see people majoring in in college. You're definitely correct in saying that you aren't going to have much optionality if you go ahead with a major like that. Event management is basically two core skills: marketing, and operations. Majoring in marketing (or specializing in PR) would certainly be applicable. A major in general business isn't going to be particularly useful for what you want to do, but will maximize your options. Marketing will be certainly good enough for you to get a job in event management. PR would be the closest, but will limit your options the most. I majored in business in undergrad, but with a specialization in marketing. When the time comes for you to pick a major, take a look at your business school's requirements -- do they offer degrees in marketing, or degrees in business with concentrations in marketing?

Last updated Nov 11 '12 at 18:19

Schools Add a schools