Natalie I.’s Avatar

Natalie I.

4

What is it like to be a k-9 police officer ?

Asked Oakland, California

how do you deal with the dog if he or she is not listening? What do you do to train your dog? #dogs #police-officer #law-enforcement #criminal-justice #law

It is not just an 8 hour shift. This is a 24 hour a day 7 days a week position. Your partner goes home with you and depends on you for their well being. It is rewarding yet not for everyone. You have to be ready to commit a great amount of time to training and to taking care of your partner. I had 8 officers and their partners under my supervision and I can say it was rewarding but more demanding than supervising just 8 officers. I had to make sure vet records were updated and that a regular vet check up schedule was kept. I had to keep track of monthly expenditures, food and the such. You would be surprised at what some of the officers tried to buy to feed their partner. I also had an officer that was just not the best for the job. This officer stressed his partner out due to the fact that he was not really an animal person. As I said it is not a position for everyone.

Last updated Jan 12 at 02:47 AM